Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rust on Honda Jazz

Options
  • 05-08-2016 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a 2009 Honda Fit (the Japanese version of the jazz) which I bought last year . I was on holiday this week in Sligo when i noticed rust spots on the bottom of both front doors.

I'm trying to figure out if they were always there and painted over by the dealer, or if they were caused by driving on a beach for 10 mins ( I was trying to drive to Coney island in Sligo which involves going across a bay when the tide has gone out). I'm thinking it was the former as it couldn't have rusted that quickly from such a short exposure to splashes of seawater, could it?

Either way, it's pretty disappointing to find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

are there stone chips on the doors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dubdev

colm_mcm wrote: »
    are there stone chips on the doors?

Yes a few , only the ones at the bottom are rusted. There are a couple of rust spots near the fuel cap too now that I check.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Salt is a very corrosive agent...

Bring it to a body shop, they will clean them up and paint them to stop the infection from spreading.

grogi wrote: »
    Salt is a very corrosive agent...

Bring it to a body shop, they will clean them up and paint them to stop the infection from spreading.

Thanks. I was going to try and do it myself as it seems like it could cost a few hundred euro to get it done professionally. vinnybyrne.com in Ballyfermot seem to do a range of rust treatment products, so I was going to try and sand it, prime it and paint it using their colour matching service.

Changed my mind on this. Carcraft in fairview are going to do it for me for around 100 quid. By the time I got bits from vinnybyrne it wouldn't be far off that and might as well get it done professionally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement