Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Drive - unlimited photo storage

Options
  • 05-08-2016 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I'm just testing this service and it looks very promising so far.
    It's 12$ per year (sic!) for unlimited photo storage +5GB for all other files.

I'm uploading my dng and tif photos now and they are indeed accepted as photo format (meaning they don't eat from 5GB storage)

I'll try with nikon raws later on.

Here is the link if you're interested:
    https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/pricing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

3month free trial too. It's worth a look

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just spotted this in the T&C's.....

1.2 Using Your Files with the Service. You may use the Service only to store, retrieve, manage, and access Your Files for personal, non-commercial purposes using the features and functionality we make available. You may not use the Service to store, transfer or distribute content of or on behalf of third parties, to operate your own file storage application or service, to operate a photography business or other commercial service, or to resell any part of the Service. You are solely responsible for Your Files and for complying with all applicable copyright and other laws, including import and export control laws and regulations, and with the terms of any licenses or agreements to which you are bound. You must ensure that Your Files are free from any malware, viruses, Trojan horses, spyware, worms, or other malicious or harmful code.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Dang.. Thought that looked a bit too good to be true! Who read all the terms and conditions by the way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just spotted this in the T&C's.....

1.2 Using Your Files with the Service. You may use the Service only to store, retrieve, manage, and access Your Files for personal, non-commercial purposes using the features and functionality we make available. You may not use the Service to store, transfer or distribute content of or on behalf of third parties, to operate your own file storage application or service, to operate a photography business or other commercial service, or to resell any part of the Service. You are solely responsible for Your Files and for complying with all applicable copyright and other laws, including import and export control laws and regulations, and with the terms of any licenses or agreements to which you are bound. You must ensure that Your Files are free from any malware, viruses, Trojan horses, spyware, worms, or other malicious or harmful code.

If you just used it as a place to dump your images i.e. as an off site hard drive, then it should be fine shouldn't it? No direct links, just as a back up.

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    If you just used it as a place to dump your images i.e. as an off site hard drive, then it should be fine shouldn't it? No direct links, just as a back up.

Probably.........but I'm not taking the chance. Anyway I'm already using their S3 service for backup. Just wish I had better broadband as it takes me 6 minutes to upload 1 DNG file :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Probably.........but I'm not taking the chance. Anyway I'm already using their S3 service for backup. Just wish I had better broadband as it takes me 6 minutes to upload 1 DNG file :eek:

Just curious but did you have a reason for picking S3 over glacier

I might give it a shot anyway. I have two separate hard drives for backing up photos away from the main computer, but I like the idea of having something that cant be robbed or destroyed in a house fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

that would be handy as anther backup, for 12 quid a month you could go wrong really

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

that would be handy as anther backup, for 12 quid a month you could go wrong really

Even better when you realise its 12 US dollars for the year :):):)

• Advertisement

Just curious but did you have a reason for picking S3 over glacier

Can't remember TBH. Not sure if there's any difference in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Can't remember TBH. Not sure if there's any difference in them.

Basically Glacier is designed as somewhere you dump stuff that hopefully you'll never need to retrieve. I.E. all your long term backups. You'll only ever need them if your house burns down and all your local storage gets nuked. So it's dirt cheap to store stuff there long term, but retrieval is expensive and you need to queue it, it can take hours to retrieve things.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've been using Amazon Drive for photos for over a year. And it's great, at the start the application you used to upload was beyond atrocious, but it has improved now. For the money you just can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

pwllor wrote: »
    I'm just testing this service and it looks very promising so far.
    It's 12$ per year (sic!) for unlimited photo storage +5GB for all other files.

I'm uploading my dng and tif photos now and they are indeed accepted as photo format (meaning they don't eat from 5GB storage)

I'll try with nikon raws later on.

Here is the link if you're interested:
    https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/pricing
    Thanks for this uploaded nearly 180gb of DNG files..sweet

I forgot about this. I'll jump in over the weekend and start uploading. But first I have to begin cataloging & organizing photos taken in 2016 -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

Thanks for this uploaded nearly 180gb of DNG files..sweet

You're welcome. I'm just starting to back up 2016 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Great post, thanks for letting us know about it.

Did anyone confirm if it takes Canon raw files?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dwaned wrote: »
    Great post, thanks for letting us know about it.

Did anyone confirm if it takes Canon raw files?

I have all my Canon RAW files on Amazon drive, and sony RAW too.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Excellent thanks, uploading now to see how it goes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Sorry guys, anyone who has used this , does it include membership of Amazon prime ?

anyway, thinking of signing up as I'm a little concerned over the future of flickr and using that as backup could be unstable.

Sorry guys, anyone who has used this , does it include membership of Amazon prime ?

anyway, thinking of signing up as I'm a little concerned over the future of flickr and using that as backup could be unstable.

Hell no it doesn't! It only costs 12$ a year and Prime is much more costly. However if you have Prime you get this as part of it...

As for this over flickr...the fact that this will store all your RAW files is the big benefit here. Flickr may still have it's uses, but not as a backup imo.

Did anyone else receive an email saying
    As of September 19, 2016, your Amazon Unlimited Photos storage plan is no longer available.

To replace this we are giving you a free 3-month trial of the Unlimited Storage Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Did anyone else receive an email saying

Yeah, it is very disappointing. I only singed up 2 months ago and have already uploaded 42GB of files. I was really enjoying it. Im not sure if I will continue to use it or not... I will decide that later.

Interestingly, I see that you got a 3 month free trial of the Unlimited Storage Plan, and I got 12!
    To replace your current plan, we are giving you 12 free months of the Unlimited Storage plan, which lets you store as many photos, videos, and other files as you like.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Great deal. What is the interface like?

Hell no it doesn't! It only costs 12$ a year and Prime is much more costly. However if you have Prime you get this as part of it...

As for this over flickr...the fact that this will store all your RAW files is the big benefit here. Flickr may still have it's uses, but not as a backup imo.

So this deal is gone now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

It looks like there are only two options now for Amazon Drive. One is $59.99 a year, and is unlimited storage for everything, the other is Prime Photos, which comes with an Amazon Prime subscription. The original offer listed here doesn't seem to exist any more.

$60 a year for unlimited storage doesn't seem too bad. Knowhow Cloud, which I got with a new laptop, is £30 a year for 1TB. Seeing as I'm currently at 850GB on that, and it's due to renew in January, I might switch to Amazon myself.

I allready have an amazon prime subscription ... hmmm.. wonder can I deduct that from signing up .. :cool:

Advertisement