Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI grant - 5 year rule, and part-time courses?

Options
  • 05-08-2016 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hello All,

I am thinking of going back to 3rd level education in September 2017 as a mature student to get a degree.
    I have never gotten a Susi grant before but based on my income I think I might be eligible.
    The story of my previous 3rd level courses is this:
    I started but did not finish the first year of a degree course in 1995, and I took year 1 again in 1997 but left after that and did not go ahead to year 2.
    I briefly started another 3rd level course in 2002 in the UK, but could not complete year 1 of it on that occasion either.
    The last course I took was a part-time level 3 ILM course in 2011.
    Would I be eligible for a grant, based on the 5-year rule?
    My other question is, I was looking into taking a part-time level 6 NFQ course this autumn as I thought it might strengthen my CAO application for next year. Someone mentioned that this would then disqualify a person from receiving a grant for the next 5 years and I was wondering if this was actually accurate for part-time courses?

I posted these questions under "Ask A Question" on the SUSI website, but the only reply I got was to refer me to the Eligibility Reckoner - ( which I'd already tried and which told me I "may" be able to get a grant, whether I put in 0, 1, or 2 previous incomplete courses ).
    Hoping somebody on here might have a bit more information for me about this as it would be very helpful. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Aghoney

You are disqualified for SUSI grants because of previous studies only if you are not progressing in your studies. So if you have done one year of a level 6 course (or part of one year), that would disqualify you from grants for a first year of level 6, but it would be OK for a level 7 or 8 course.

What course do you want to start in 2017?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Sir Arsalot

Aghoney wrote: »
    You are disqualified for SUSI grants because of previous studies only if you are not progressing in your studies. So if you have done one year of a level 6 course (or part of one year), that would disqualify you from grants for a first year of level 6, but it would be OK for a level 7 or 8 course.

What course do you want to start in 2017?

Hi Aghoney, thanks for your reply - it is a Level 8 course I'd like to start in September 2017.

I previously started but did not finish Level 8 courses in '95, '97( repeated the same course as '95 ) and then briefly started another UK Level 8 course in 2002 - I'm guessing the UK one counts as a previous 3rd level course to be disclosed aswell?

Advertisement