Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice needed, €5,000 budget!

Options
  • 05-08-2016 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi there,

OH needs to replace her car, which is pretty much banjaxed (2003 Renault Megane). Don't drive myself (plan to soon) so don't know enough to offer advice. Thought I'd ask here.

Budget is about 5k (can stretch it a bit if it's worthwhile), looking for something 2008 onwards that's economical, but she likes a bit of power too. Will be used for Dublin-Donegal and return a few times of year, weekend trips, and daily home-work-home journey. No kids as yet, family car not currently a requirement. Economy / ease of repair / reliability probably most important. Not sure whether petrol or deisel is best? Also unsure whether to use finance or savings.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Hi there,

OH needs to replace her car, which is pretty much banjaxed (2003 Renault Megane). Don't drive myself (plan to soon) so don't know enough to offer advice. Thought I'd ask here.

Budget is about 5k (can stretch it a bit if it's worthwhile), looking for something 2008 onwards that's economical, but she likes a bit of power too. Will be used for Dublin-Donegal and return a few times of year, weekend trips, and daily home-work-home journey. No kids as yet, family car not currently a requirement. Economy / ease of repair / reliability probably most important. Not sure whether petrol or deisel is best? Also unsure whether to use finance or savings.

Many thanks in advance.

Tight budget there to get something for 5 grand that is all of economical, powerful and reliable post 08.

If she was happy with megane size car I would suggest Ford focus, you might squeeze in budget. Vw Golf probably not.

Left field suggestion is an Alfa 159 diesel, despite the reputation are meant to be pretty reliable. You will hear horror stories about every make/model if you look hard enough.

Most stylish car out there that ticks all your boxes I would think. Was looking at them myself this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Thanks. Could go 6k at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kia Ceed diesel might be in budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ceed/i30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

bmwguy wrote: »
    Left field suggestion is an Alfa 159 diesel, despite the reputation are meant to be pretty reliable. You will hear horror stories about every make/model if you look hard enough.

Very reliable but I don't know if you'd get a good one for €5k or close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Very reliable but I don't know if you'd get a good one for €5k or close to it.

The problem is there are so few for sale, but there are a few of them for in around 5k. I don't know if they are good examples. It was a bit leftfield anyway I just happen to like them

Advertisement