Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game recommendation

Options
  • 05-08-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm kinda new to the gaming world, basically I've an xbox one, Mainly just played three games so far.. shadows of mordor, loved it, batman arkham knight, wasn't overly impressed and now almost finished witcher 3. Loved it.

I tried call of duty but think I prefer swords over guns....

Has anyone got any recommendations on what to purchase next I think I would like something along the lines of shadows of mordor and witcher 3

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Mad Max pops to mind, large open world, similar combat to Shadow of Mordor.

Then there is of course Dark Souls. :)

Don't forget backwards compatible ones, I know you said swords over guns but Red Dead Redemption is well worth a look and very cheap.

Theres sunset overdrive which is great and the tomb raider games. Ryse : Son of Rome is another decent one, Dragon Age: Inquisition might be closer to the likes of Witcher 3 btu Witcher 2 is backwards compatible , it's great but not as open as Witcher 3 so bear that in mind.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Assassin's Creed ones not everyones cup of tea though as the quality has dropped off in the more recent ones.

Dying light was one I really liked.

Maybe have a look at youtube for game play of some of those to see if any look appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Thanks guys, I've been youtube'n your suggestions. Have to say last time I had a console it was a sega megadrive! So bit of catching up to do!

I'm liking the look of Ryse: Son of Rome....

dark souls seems to come with a warning thats is esy difficulty is Very very difficult!

Dragon Age: Inquisition was one I actually had a look at myself!

After playing Witcher 3 through twice and ont he high difficulty level I think its time to move on.. as soon as I beat the final Boss!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ryse Son of Rome is a glorified QTE.

Dark Souls is difficult but it's harsh but fair. It should also come with another warning, that it's far and away the best videogame series of the last 15 years. Stick with it, look up some help online. It's well worth it in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Another thing, if you enjoyed the Witcher 3 then look into getting the expansions if you haven't already, they are meant to be amazing.

• Advertisement

If you did Witcher 3 on Death March you are in tune with in some ways with the combat in Dark Souls, taking your time avoiding unnecessary damage , rolling away , not getting to swing happy with the sword and picking your shots.

The narrative in dark souls is very different to Witcher though, don't go in expecting a story to be told straight up in the traditional sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dragon Age: Inquisition is a very under-rated game. Not as great as the Witcher 3, but nothing is. You can usually pick it up with all DLC for under €25 on sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,337 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ryse Son of Rome is a glorified QTE.

yeah but the MP is quite fun as you have to actually use all the moves you learn through the game

Have the two expansions for Witcher 3, the second one was excellent! blood and wine was based around a whole new world!
    Yep, almost finished on Death March, except for as I was saying the last boss!

Excellent, I'll check out Dragon Age: Inquisition and Dark souls.. any version of dark souls I should look out for!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

styer wrote: »
    Have the two expansions for Witcher 3, the second one was excellent! blood and wine was based around a whole new world!

Excellent, I'll check out Dragon Age: Inquisition and Dark souls.. any version of dark souls I should look out for!

This is what you want.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3439221/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo%2Bgames%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CXbox%2BOne%7C37328270/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328270%7CXbox%2BOne%2Bgames%7C37328812.htm

btw, the difficulty level of dark souls is overstated. It starts out difficult, and punishes recklessness but you'll soon get better gear / used to the mechanics. Its also absolutely fantastic. :cool:

My own recommendations would also be for Dying Light - amazing game, and 25 euros in argos.

Sunset Overdrive is well worth picking up also, and on the bargain front, you can pick up Assassins Creed 4, Assassins creed unity and Ryse on cdkeys for less than a fiver each.

• Advertisement

styer wrote: »

I'd probably recommend starting with Dark Souls 2. It's the weakest of the series but the best starting point. The DLC however is fantastic. You can pick it up with all the DLC in the Scholar of the first Sin addition.

Still if you want to dive straight into Dark Souls 3 then do so, it's another good starting point for the series and looks a lot better since it was made for current gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Ea access it even has dragon age in the vault.

http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/en_IE.html

Ea access it even has dragon age in the vault.

http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/en_IE.html

Forgot about that EA access, it's well worth a look if there's even 2 games you like the look of for what it costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This is what you want.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3439221/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo%2Bgames%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CXbox%2BOne%7C37328270/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328270%7CXbox%2BOne%2Bgames%7C37328812.htm

btw, the difficulty level of dark souls is overstated. It starts out difficult, and punishes recklessness but you'll soon get better gear / used to the mechanics. Its also absolutely fantastic. :cool:

Spotted this earlier and was very tempted to pick it up and never play it :)

so I got Dragon Age: Inquisition... I think it will take awhile to adjust to... I was spoilt with Witcher 3!

Advertisement