Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of an odd question

Options
  • 04-08-2016 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭

Mods, I wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if there is one.

So, basically, I'm being driven absolutely demented by a really high-pitched "sound" in my house the past few weeks. I use the quotation marks because it's not really an audible sound, as such; neither of my housemates can hear it.

I have a Bose sound dock that makes the same "noise" when plugged it's in but not in use, but that literally stops the second it's plugged out and I haven't had it plugged in at all when I'm hearing this. It also only seems to happen in the evenings. Our management company recently changed all the streetlights in our development from arc sodiums to what look like LEDS (they're super bright, anyway). Is it possible I'm "hearing" these?

Ear plugs don't make any difference and I'm seriously starting to lose my reason because it's affecting my sleep. Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Mods, I wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if there is one.

So, basically, I'm being driven absolutely demented by a really high-pitched "sound" in my house the past few weeks. I use the quotation marks because it's not really an audible sound, as such; neither of my housemates can hear it.

I have a Bose sound dock that makes the same "noise" when plugged it's in but not in use, but that literally stops the second it's plugged out and I haven't had it plugged in at all when I'm hearing this. It also only seems to happen in the evenings. Our management company recently changed all the streetlights in our development from arc sodiums to what look like LEDS (they're super bright, anyway). Is it possible I'm "hearing" these?

Ear plugs don't make any difference and I'm seriously starting to lose my reason because it's affecting my sleep. Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks a mill.

Do you have any insect/rodent repellent plugs in your house? I have heard stories of people moving into houses and only finding out years later that such a device was plugged into an attic socket or hidden from view.

LED devices shouldn't make any noise at all, however transformers for them could.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Do you have any insect/rodent repellent plugs in your house? I have heard stories of people moving into houses and only finding out years later that such a device was plugged into an attic socket or hidden from view.

Nope, living here almost three years and this is only happening in the last few weeks.

Lying in bed right now and it's gone, which is really making me lean towards it being *something* to do with the lights (as you said, not necessarily the diodes themselves).

That, or the management company have sneakily stuck one of those "Mosquito" things to stop kids loitering up somewhere and not told anyone. Although at 34, I shouldn't be able to hear one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

You could try turning off everything at the fuse board and seeing if that stops it. If it does, at least you've narrowed it down to something electrical in your house.

Advertisement