Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literature re protective and resilience factors in mental health

Options
  • 04-08-2016 9:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking for some good research on protective factors and resilience in mental health, specifically around the burden of care as experienced by family members/caregivers/parents. What steps or interventions are protective in easing their distress and in building coping skills?

I've had a little look on Google Scholar, but if anyone knows any good papers right off that bat that would be handy, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hmm, there's been quite a discussion about this on Researchgate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh yeah? Didn't realise it had a discussion element.

I think it's the one I had great trouble registering with, because I'm not working for an academic institution. Or maybe it was academia.edu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Fletcher, D., & Sarkar, M. (2013). Psychological resilience: A review and critique of definitions, concepts and theory. European Psychologist, 18, 12-23.

An Ecological-Systemic Approach to Resilience: A View From the Trenches.
    doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/trm0000074
    By Berger, Rony
    Traumatology, May 19 , 2016, No Pagination Specified.

Robertson, I. T., Cooper, C. L., Sarkar, M., & Curran, T. (2015). Resilience training in the workplace from 2003 to 2014: A systematic review. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 88, 533-562. doi: 10.1111/joop.12120. 

Compas, B. E., Malcarne, V. L., & Fondacaro, K. M. (1988). Coping with stressful     events in older children and young adolescents. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 56(3), 405.

Docena, P. (2015). Adaptive coping, resilience, and absence of anxiety among displaced disaster survivors.  Retrieved from www.pap.org.ph/includes/view/default/uploads/pjp.../PJP1502_Final_2Docena.pdf

Lazarus, R. S., & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, appraisal and coping.
    New York: Springer.

Wright, M.O., & Masten, A.S. (2005).  Resilience processes in development: Fostering positive adaptation in the context of adversity.  In S. Goldstein & R.B. Brooks (Eds.), Handbook of resilience in children (pp. 17-37).  New York:  Springer.

were references mentioned in the discussion.

Advertisement