Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical School

Options
  • 04-08-2016 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

So after a couple of years of deliberation, I have decided that I want to become a doctor. I am currently going into 3rd year of Biomedical Science.

I've been looking into 3 year medical degrees abroad, because I don't fancy doing 4 or 5 years here (with very high fees) as opposed to 3 year more affordable courses in the States.

I'm wondering, can I do the three years in University in the US, then do the GP residency in Ireland? Or must I do it all in the US?

If I do complete the residency in the US, will this qualify me to work as a GP in Ireland?

Any help at all would be appreciated, thank you! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

So after a couple of years of deliberation, I have decided that I want to become a doctor. I am currently going into 3rd year of Biomedical Science.

I've been looking into 3 year medical degrees abroad, because I don't fancy doing 4 or 5 years here (with very high fees) as opposed to 3 year more affordable courses in the States.

I'm wondering, can I do the three years in University in the US, then do the GP residency in Ireland? Or must I do it all in the US?

If I do complete the residency in the US, will this qualify me to work as a GP in Ireland?

Any help at all would be appreciated, thank you! :)

Are the fees in the States not astronomical?!! Also, I think it's very hard to get into medical school in the US, judging by how many north americans come to study here.

I'd also imagine that you'd have to do family medicine in the states but not sure how easy it is to transfer over to Ireland then. The ICGP may be the best to contact in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭medicine12345

Have never really heard of an Irish person doing their medical degree in the US, as another poster said it would be extremely expensive and difficult to get in to. A better option would be a 4 year gradmed degree here or in the UK. Then do GP training in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Due to personal circumstances and the fact it's only 3 years, I'll be getting a scholarship. I'm a member of a programme for disadvantaged girls kind of thing, they'll pay for it anyway.

The question really isn't about the US or the money, it's can I do my intern years in Ireland when I finish medical school in the US?P

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭medicine12345

Due to personal circumstances and the fact it's only 3 years, I'll be getting a scholarship. I'm a member of a programme for disadvantaged girls kind of thing, they'll pay for it anyway.

The question really isn't about the US or the money, it's can I do my intern years in Ireland when I finish medical school in the US?P

It might be difficult to get internship here in that case as CAO applicants to college are given preference for intern places now.
    If you did well in your exams, got good references, electives etc whilst in college in the US you could apply to do family medicine over there. I think it only takes 3 years. Whereas here it would be another 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

It might be difficult to get internship here in that case as CAO applicants to college are given preference for intern places now.
    If you did well in your exams, got good references, electives etc whilst in college in the US you could apply to do family medicine over there. I think it only takes 3 years. Whereas here it would be another 5 years

Cool thanks! Would I be qualified to practice as a GP here then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I would think that 3 year programmes in the states are exceedingly competitive. It is already very hard to get into a 4-year programme in North America as an international student (because the states will generally only fund places for NA students). If you qualify, you would have to do your internship there because there are no places for those educated abroad in the HSE's internship programme, and would have to do your family medicine training there. According to the ICGP, you'd then have to do a year of GP training in Ireland and sit the MICGP exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

I thought med school in the US was four years. Medical school in the US is incredibly competitive. Everyone has a degree applying, research and volunteering and have to have great MCAT scores. I think you would have to be an exceptional candidate probably with a bit of reasonably high-impact research to be even considered

I've never heard of anyone Irish who went to Med school there but I've worked with a few North Americans educated over there and their med school experience sounds fairly hellish compared to the typical Irish one. It would be a difficult environment to be away from friends and family in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

No you wouldn't. ICGP/Med Council dont recognise the US training programmes as being equivalent to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

No you wouldn't. ICGP/Med Council dont recognise the US training programmes as being equivalent to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Presonally i think the fastest way for you to become a doc is to finish your degree here and at the same time sit the gamsat. Then do 4 years either here in ireland or up north/glasgow.
    Fees are less in uk than here. it used be on 2k gbp or so per year but its more now. But still less than the 15k eur it is here for grad med

If youre not concered about money then id do it all here and study your ass off for the usmle. then head off at the end of med school to do whatever in the states. Thats the fastest way

Getting into med school in the us involves sitting the mcat and doing very well in it. There are also visa issues but i know very little about that

• Advertisement
Advertisement