Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Connecting Spotify from phone to radio speakers?

Options
  • 04-08-2016 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I have a 2007 VW Golf Mark IV with, I believe, with the original stereo. At the moment I have my phone mounted on the centre of the windscreen just above the dash, and I have been playing Spotify directly from it.

I have read that there can be a lot of issues with the Bluetooth FM radio setups, especially when in built up areas like Dublin, due to pirate radio stations etc.

I was in Halfords today, and I paid ~€100 for them to order and then fit an auxilliary 2.5mm cable/kit to connect into my phones headphones port.

I was just thinking, it may be more convenient using some sort of bluetooth kit, which then directly connects by cable, so I would not have to reconnect and disconnect the phone (and my charger), each time I enter or leave the car.

I could call Halfords tomorrow and see if they have anything like this, and if it is not too late to change my order, just looking for some advice please, if this is the way to go here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I spoke with Halfords and they told me the part is already ordered, but there should be no issue changing it if I let them know tomorrow morning.

They have told me they have a deal for €150 on a Sony Radio 4100BT, which has bluetooth functionality, and although not an 'app radio', it should work with now and next, I would have to start spotify playing on my phone, and I can test this is compatible in Halfords before they fit it.

Sony MEX-N4100BT Car Stereo with Bluetooth

Their app radios start at around 300, but I do not really want to spend that much on a car I will be replacing over the next few years.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you don't have the aux input in your golf can you not just connect one of these to the MDI port in the car?

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/221825441126

VW MDI Audi AMI Music Interface Connector Charger Aux Cable For iPhone 6 5S 5C 5

If you don't have the aux input in your golf can you not just connect one of these to the MDI port in the car?

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/221825441126

VW MDI Audi AMI Music Interface Connector Charger Aux Cable For iPhone 6 5S 5C 5

I am not sure it has an MDI port, or if it has it may be under the glove box hidden away.

The thing about that, is that I am not quite liking the idea of not having to plug the phone in to anything to access Spotify, and being abe to make to go through my contacts and place calls using the buttons on the radio...

Also, they have my money already!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

dusf wrote: »
    I am not sure it has an MDI port, or if it has it may be under the glove box hidden away.

The thing about that, is that I am not quite liking the idea of not having to plug the phone in to anything to access Spotify, and being abe to make to go through my contacts and place calls using the buttons on the radio...

Also, they have my money already!

If your playing music you'd want the phone charging at the same time, not sure what your paying €100 for will do what your expecting. Think gold mk7 either came with aux in or MDI port, if you don't have aux in(which you might actually have) you have an MDI port.
    Dig out the manual you either have one or the other. Could be hiding under a panel you need to remove in the glove panel etc.
    Dig out the manual or drop into VW, odds are you already have an aux in you just don't know where it is.

If your playing music you'd want the phone charging at the same time, not sure what your paying €100 for will do what your expecting. Think gold mk7 either came with aux in or MDI port, if you don't have aux in(which you might actually have) you have an MDI port.
    Dig out the manual you either have one or the other. Could be hiding under a panel you need to remove in the glove panel etc.
    Dig out the manual or drop into VW, odds are you already have an aux in you just don't know where it is.

Thanks for that, but I did go with the install of the Sony MEX 4100BT for €154, no messing with cables when I enter the car (apart from charger - I will see if I can get some sort of wireless charging kit for my OnePlus X, but I would prefer if this does not have to use the USB port - back case not easily removable so I would have to go at the seal with a stanley blade which is doable), Bluetooth, there are previous and next buttons which work with Spotify, it has a mic on it which helps when barking hello google commands to open spotify and play an artist or navigate to somewhere etc. The price also included the new plastic panel below the dash so the radio would fit, and any other parts required. I also choose to believe that the sound quality from this radio is better than the standard one I had! :D

I am happy with it, but there are some issues I would like to iron out if possible:

- Phonebook contacts will not sync with my OnePlus X

- It takes a minute or two for bluetooth to connect once I turn the radio on, there is a USB port which I now use to charge my phone all of the time I am in the car, so it would be great if it could immediately connect that way, not a major issue, but it leads to the next one...

- If I have the ignition key turned so the car has power, this is the only time that the radio will actually turn on, it loses power if I turn the key to off, but also, more annoyingly, if I am sitting in the car with the key turned, listening to music or with a route ready on Google Maps - but the engine not on - and I then turn the key to start the engine, while it is starting it knocks the radio off completely for a second or two, which means that it has to reconnect by bluetooth and I have to get re-open Maps/Spotify again, which are still running on my phone, in the background. The old radio stayed on even when the ignition key was turned off, I think only turning itself off if the key is removed. Perhaps it could be wired like the old radio not to turn off until the key is removed?

- I downloaded a Sony app from the Play Store called Songpal, which I thought would help with the phonebook issue but it has not. It also adds extra options to the source menu on the radio, like Google, Spotifty, etc., although I suspect I may be able to access a lot of this with the Songpal uninstalled and source on the radio just set to BT Audio - I will test this when driving later. The songpal app also annoyingly seems to pop up at very inconvenient times, like when I am driving on a motorway approaching a complex junction I am not familiar with and relying on the Google Maps lady! I think Songpal pops up sometimes if I start the engine also.

• Advertisement

Just to add, Songpal, when it opens, is always in Landscape mode, rather than switching to portrait like other apps - I have been through the few settings Songpal has, and there does not seem to be any way to correct this.

Advertisement