Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Building my own - advice needed

Options
  • 04-08-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi all,

my current PC is starting to get on a bit and I'm thinking to is time to upgrade. Previously I have always bought from a shop or direct from the manufacturer, however from reading this forum it seems that maybe I should consider building my own? I have basic A+ computer knowledge but a bit fuzzy when it comes to specs, specifically if I buy a certain motherboard what other parts that determines – finding all that a bit difficult
    I know nothing about graphics cards, network cards, fans, motherboards and types of RAM bar how to slot this all in an existing motherboard. I am not even sure what case to look at (don’t need lights etc)
    My needs are fairly basic - Web browsing, Media (listening/downloading music, movies etc), managing photo data, watching TV, basic home office tasks (word, excel, a little powerpoint), watching movies. No gaming at the moment due to little people running around at home, but the ability to upgrade parts in the future. I am looking for a machine that I can make last 5 – 8 years hopefully.
    I currently have a Dell XPS A2010:

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz

RAM: 2.00 GB

System: 32-bit, x64-based processor

Graphics Card - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400

I would like to get a Core i5 with a 120gb SSD drive for the operating system, 1tb secondary drive for storage, 8gb RAM, HDMI port, some/all USB3.0 ports and a gigabit network connection?
    Any suggestions what kit to purchase and where, greatly appreciated.

1. What is your budget? [€600 - 700]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Internet/media/basic office & admin tasks/photo and music storage/management

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No (all-in-one so nothing salvageable?)

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes - I intend to purchase a TV which will also be used for normal TV watching when computer is not in use

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Planning on a Samsung 28” 1080p LED TV with 2 HDMI (28” due to space restrictions)

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / maybe an optical drive? / no Wireless Card / no Card Reader/ no Speakers

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not required

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Pay Pal / cash

9. When are you purchasing? Next few weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Willing to give it a go myself / Dublin

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 6400 €180
    H150m board €60
    mATX Case €80
    300w PSU €50
    250gb €80
    2tb HDD €90
    8gb DDR4 €40
    Total €580

No need spending more imo, head for Amazon for parts