Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi extender with homeplugs

Options
  • 04-08-2016 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭

I have a TP-Link powerline adapter starter kit which does the trick for bringing the broadband signal from beside my router to my tv. However, I've just switched over to Imagine and their router was installed in a different part of the house and I'm looking into wifi extenders. I'm v happy with the homeplugs I have and don't fancy forking out for another set that have wifi enabled.

Is it possible to link up this basic wall plug wifi extender with the homeplugs I already have? Would you treat one of the existing plugs as a router and connect them using an ethernet cable or can you simply plug in a new wifi plug in a socket and it would be just an extension of the home network?

Apologies for the potential stupidity of this query! Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont buy that, you're halving your wireless speed.

Prime options:
    A - Just buy 1x wireless HP like this.
    B - Buy an AP and connect it to the homeplug like this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have a TP-Link powerline adapter starter kit which does the trick for bringing the broadband signal from beside my router to my tv. However, I've just switched over to Imagine and their router was installed in a different part of the house and I'm looking into wifi extenders. I'm v happy with the homeplugs I have and don't fancy forking out for another set that have wifi enabled.

Does the Imagine router not have an RJ45 socket for a LAN connection?
    If yes, would that not mean simply moving the Homeplug to the new router location?
    Obviously I have never seen an Imagine router, hence the question ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Does the Imagine router not have an RJ45 socket for a LAN connection?
    If yes, would that not mean simply moving the Homeplug to the new router location?
    Obviously I have never seen an Imagine router, hence the question ;)

I think his problem is that the wireless is weak from the Imagine router from this new location further away. In this case just get an AP, option B in Ed's post.

I think his problem is that the wireless is weak from the Imagine router from this new location further away. In this case just get an AP, option B in Ed's post.

Ah, the homeplugs are a diversion!
    It is that the wifi from the original modem was good - probably due to position - and the wifi from the new one is not.

It it were me I would use the homeplugs as before, and take the output from the homeplug into the old router and use the old router's wifi as before.
    Connect the TV to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I think his problem is that the wireless is weak from the Imagine router from this new location further away.

Yep.
    Ah, the homeplugs are a diversion!
    It is that the wifi from the original modem was good - probably due to position - and the wifi from the new one is not.

It it were me I would use the homeplugs as before, and take the output from the homeplug into the old router and use the old router's wifi as before.
    Connect the TV to the router.

Oh, I'll try that, never thought of using the old router. I presume I'll have to mess about with settings on the old router to get it to do this...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Oh, I'll try that, never thought of using the old router. I presume I'll have to mess about with settings on the old router to get it to do this...?

I just connected my old router to imagine's ws-600 Wan port and used the old router's auto-config function. I'll check later for the specific setup. I also disabled the wireless in the ws-600 (admin/admin) combo although that might not work any more. Works a treat.

morgana wrote: »
    I just connected my old router to imagine's ws-600 Wan port and used the old router's auto-config function. I'll check later for the specific setup. I also disabled the wireless in the ws-600 (admin/admin) combo although that might not work any more. Works a treat.
    As I understand it the position of the new router does not properly cover the whole house, so using the homeplugs to put the old router in a more centralised position seemed to be worth trying. Essentially the same thing, near enough, to what you describe.

Advertisement