Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got fined 60 quid on my car parked in my estate

Options
  • 04-08-2016 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

So I bought a car 4 months ago but Ive failed my driving test and havent gotten licence/insurance yet (Im 21). Tax was up months ago but I havent been driving it, just been parked beside my house and I got taxed 60 quid for not displaying current tax disc.

Why would I tax a car that I cant drive? Can I do something about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

if it's parked on a public road it needs to display a valid tax disc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

TheStook wrote: »
    So I bought a car 4 months ago but Ive failed my driving test and havent gotten licence/insurance yet (Im 21). Tax was up months ago but I havent been driving it, just been parked beside my house and I got taxed 60 quid for not displaying current tax disc.

If it's parked on the road it needs tax. Have you just let the tax run out or did you declare it off the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

chocksaway wrote: »
    it its parked on a public road it needs to display a valid tax disc

This. And if it's not being driven/taxed, you need to declare it in advance.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/local-government/motor-tax/vehicle-road/qa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

it its parked on a public road it needs to display a valid tax disc

Its not its parked in my estates parking spaces across from my house. Not on the road.

The old neighbour does complain about non residents parking on our roads so every now and then they come into the estate and now Ive been dicked over instead of those dicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

All cars on a public road need to be taxed.you not being able to drive is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

ceegee wrote: »
    If it's parked on the road it needs tax. Have you just let the tax run out or did you declare it off the road?

I let the tax run out. Had no idea I ha to declare it off the road as I cant drive it and its parked in my estates parking spots.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Doesn't matter you weren't planning on driving it, once it's on the road, it has to be taxed.

MarkR wrote: »
    Doesn't matter you weren't planning on driving it, once it's on the road, it has to be taxed.

Not on the road though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Its not its parked in my estates parking spaces across from my house. Not on the road.

The old neighbour does complain about non residents parking on our roads so every now and then they come into the estate and now Ive been dicked over instead of those dicks.

Parking spaces or not, it's a public road. Still needs to be taxed I'm afraid. It's not really you being dicked over to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

If you don't declare it off road, you will have to pay any back tax on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And be aware that they can come back every day and issue further tickets.

Still counts a public road to my knowledge

Okay Ill declare it off the road now anyway thanks everyone, didnt know that.

Thats a bit of a kick in the balls tbh, my first ever fine haha :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Can you provide evidence that it was parked on the moon?

And be aware that they can come back every day and issue further tickets.

How can I get it declared off the road by tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

How can I get it declared off the road by tomorrow?

https://www.motarviews.ie/ORD/login. You'll need the PIN from your last tax renewal notice.

Alternatively, download the RF150 form from here and bring it to the nearest motor tax office

you might have to pay the back tax on it before you can declare it off the road too, so bare that in mind

from citizens informations:

"he declaration of non-use must be made in the same month that your current motor tax disc expires. If arrears in motor tax are due these must be paid in full and you must also pay a minimum of 3 months motor tax, before a declaration of non-use can be made."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_tax_rates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

if that car is in your name then when you do eventually go to tax it you will be liable for all the arrears dating back to the day the last tax ran out ( if it was taxed when you bought it) or the day (that month included) you took ownership if it was not taxed when you bought it. The fact that it is on a public road means it must be taxed, hence the fine. even if you decide to declare the car off the road now you will still have to tax it first ( to pay the arrears). you either need to tax it or get it off the road (garden perhaps?). the only way to avoid the tax arrears is to pay the fine and sell the vehicle, maybe you could sell it to someone you know who could then declare it off the road and they might even sell it back to you at the beginning of the month after you get your licence. This would of course be avoiding arrears and future taxing of the vehicle whilst waiting for your licence, not that I would suggest you try and avoid paying tax on your vehicle.

Also ypu will need topay min 3 months road tax or they won't accept your declaration

Q4. What if I send the declaration in after the tax has expired?

A4. It will be returned to you and you will be notified that you are liable for tax on the vehicle for a minimum of 3 months before a declaration of non-use may be made. It is important, therefore, if you are posting the declaration, that you send it off in sufficient time to reach your local motor tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Would you consider that a public place?

• Advertisement

if that car is in your name then when you do eventually go to tax it you will be liable for all the arrears dating back to the day the last tax ran out ( if it was taxed when you bought it) or the day (that month included) you took ownership if it was not taxed when you bought it. The fact that it is on a public road means it must be taxed, hence the fine. even if you decide to declare the car off the road now you will still have to tax it first ( to pay the arrears). you either need to tax it or get it off the road (garden perhaps?). the only way to avoid the tax arrears is to pay the fine and sell the vehicle, maybe you could sell it to someone you know who could then declare it off the road and they might even sell it back to you at the beginning of the month after you get your licence. This would of course be avoiding arrears and future taxing of the vehicle whilst waiting for your licence, not that I would suggest you try and avoid paying tax on your vehicle.

The tax ran out in April but I cant pay the back tax as I need insurance details to log into that website.

you shouldn't have a problem if you go into your local motor tax office to do it

you shouldn't have a problem if you go into your local motor tax office to do it

Ok thanks.
    So what am I looking at paying all together here?

The tax ran out in April 2016 and its a 1.0 Polo.
    As I understand it Ive to pay the back tax plus 3 months of tax before I can declare it off the road?

So 60 quid fine plus 3 months of tax-€50 plus the back tax-€50? That sound right

Ok thanks.
    So what am I looking at paying all together here?

The tax ran out in April 2016 and its a 1.0 Polo.
    As I understand it Ive to pay the back tax plus 3 months of tax before I can declare it off the road?

So 60 quid fine plus 3 months of tax- 50 plus the back tax- 50? That sound right
    I don't think it's back tax +3 months.

It's min 3 months.so for instance if you car was 2 months out of tax, you'd have to pay for 3 months. You would be liable for May - August, 4 months back tax.

If you declare it off the road, you'll still have to move it from where you have it parked

Q16. Can I keep the vehicle parked in a public place after I made an off the road declaration?

A16. No, you cannot keep or use the vehicle in a public place while an off the road declaration is in effect in respect of the vehicle. It must be kept in off the road and not in a public place to avoid a liability for motor tax (and penalties for non-payment of motor tax and for making a false off-road declaration).

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

The tax ran out in April but I cant pay the back tax as I need insurance details to log into that website.

Transfer car ownership to a family members name, then straight away back to yours. The tax arrears are gone and you can then declare it off the road. That's what the gardai advised me anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

FrStone wrote: »
    Transfer car ownership to a family members name, then straight away back to yours. The tax arrears are gone and you can then declare it off the road. That's what the gardai advised me anyway.

This. ^

Or alternatively just sell (or scrap) the car. You're not liable for any back tax or arrears if you do either of these. Loophole in the law.

FrStone wrote: »

Can anyone confirm that this works? Or it is illegal and easily recognized?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

you can put "I am a tit" in that box on the website if you want ;)

Smondie wrote: »
    I don't think it's back tax +3 months.

It's min 3 months.so for instance if you car was 2 months out of tax, you'd have to pay for 3 months. You would be liable for May - August, 4 months back tax.

If you declare it off the road, you'll still have to move it from where you have it parked

Q16. Can I keep the vehicle parked in a public place after I made an off the road declaration?

A16. No, you cannot keep or use the vehicle in a public place while an off the road declaration is in effect in respect of the vehicle. It must be kept in off the road and not in a public place to avoid a liability for motor tax (and penalties for non-payment of motor tax and for making a false off-road declaration).

So I will have to get 4 months of tax as it expired in April is that right?

• Advertisement

pred racer wrote: »
    you can put "I am a tit" in that box on the website if you want ;)

Im 21 and its my first car. I doubt many people my age without licenses would know about having to declare an unused car off the road.

You live and learn I suppose

Advertisement