Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cat D cars? Are they worth considering?

Options
  • 04-08-2016 4:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am looking at a Cat D car from the UK. Vendor says minimal damage and was a lease car written off to reclaim deposit etc.

Not sure I believe this, but will the VRT be reduced to compensate with the reduced value?

Car is 30% devalued in the UK. I would obviously get the car checked out in the UK before I bring it over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Revenue don't care if it was economically written off and repaired, it will still be assessed at it's OMSP. Your only saving will be from the reduced price you will pay for it in the UK. Just remember that any potential buyer after you will see it flagged as a write off too on a car history report and no matter how much evidence of proper repair you produce it will still put a lot of people off buying it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thanks for the posts. I have already dismissed it from my mind. Even if it was super cheap, it will always carry the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on how long you intend keeping it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

colm_mcm wrote: »
    depends on how long you intend keeping it.

There are very few of these cars available here but plenty in the UK, particularly high spec ones. This one is £3k below normal market price.

Assuming it is a good car (and not bodged), I would keep it for 5 to 10 years if I bought it. It would be a low mileage, second car, weekend use type of car.

However, it is only a few years old, so why did it get written off? Do lease companies tend to write off first and ask questions afterwards?

I think I will pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you can have the car landed on irish plate for 30 percent less than equal alert, it is worth it.
    The full vrt is a stumbling block there.

Advertisement