Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need a jump start in Drumcondra, what should I do?

Options
  • 04-08-2016 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just went out to my car for work and, unfortunately, the lights have been left on for two days so the thing is completely flat.

I dont have jumpleads/have never used before. What's my best option for getting sorted out ? I gave these guys a call - http://www.recovery24.ie/services/battery-assist/ - €55 for callout and charge. Worth my time seeing if a taxi nearby will sort me out before going for this, or will I just bite the bullet?

Thanks very much! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jeebus wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just went out to my car for work and, unfortunately, the lights have been left on for two days so the thing is completely flat.

I dont have jumpleads/have never used before. What's my best option for getting sorted out ? I gave these guys a call - http://www.recovery24.ie/services/battery-assist/ - €55 for callout and charge. Worth my time seeing if a taxi nearby will sort me out before going for this, or will I just bite the bullet?

Thanks very much! :)

You'd buy leads for a lot less than that and surely a neighbour would help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Approach a taxi, worth a shot, throw him a twenty. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Approach a taxi, worth a shot, throw him a twenty. :)

I was thinking this - I'll give a call around now. Will a jump start definitely sort me out here though, it will?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

€55 :eek:.
    Knock on some doors and see if anybody will help you out.
    The fact you don't have jump lead isn't a good start though.
    I assume you are not a member of the AA or have breakdown cover on your insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

For lights on all weekend, almost definitely a jump start will do the job.

Depends on how old the battery is. But I'd 95% confident a jump start will solve your issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Many insurance policies have breakdown assistance now. Have you checked that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is there anyone around to try bump starting it?

Make sure you take it for at least a half hour drive once you get it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Have you a halfords/argos/anything within walking distance? Even aldi might have Jump Leads.

You just need to flutter your eyelashes at someone who'll let you jump the car then. I've had to do it a couple of times, and people are generally very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Story Bud? wrote: »
    Have you a halfords/argos/anything within walking distance? Even aldi might have Jump Leads.

You just need to flutter your eyelashes at someone who'll let you jump the car then. I've had to do it a couple of times, and people are generally very helpful.

Nearest Halfords would be Blanch, if he's in north Drumcondra the Argos in Santry might be closeish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

FFS does not one know how to do a push start these days ????, if you parked near a hill you can even do it on your own, just release the hand break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Notch000 wrote: »
    FFS does not one know how to do a push start these days ????, if you parked near a hill you can even do it on your own, just release the hand break

In the middle of Dublin? Not the most practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Bump start if you have a second pair of hands, just to be safe. Also as mentioned above - does your insurance include breakdown? If so, use it, it doesn't count as a claim.

If you get it going again without changing the battery, make sure it gets a good long spin afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

FYI if it's your first time.

jumpstart.png?w=184&h=300

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Tinder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

gRINDR if you are anywhere near Maynooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

tipptom wrote: »
    gRINDR if you are anywhere near Maynooth!

I've never heard of that.. what is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

mikeecho wrote: »
    I've never heard of that.. what is it ?

A small university town in North Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

A small university town in North Kildare.

But that's not important right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Notch000 wrote: »

....not forgetting to turn on the ignition, put it in gear, and release the clutch once a bit of speed has been built up.:)

Although it's said that push-starting a petrol car can (sometimes) ruin the Cat as unburnt fuel usually gets expelled on the 1st few revolutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

if battery is completely flat as op states, it wont start on a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

FYI if it's your first time.

jumpstart.png?w=184&h=300

Am sure I have always seen both leads attached to both batteries in a jump start. What bare metal would you attach the black lead to near the battery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Am sure I have always seen both leads attached to both batteries in a jump start. What bare metal would you attach the black lead to near the battery?

doesn't matter. The car chassis is connected to the ground lead of the battery, so it's much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pipetool

If you haven't got sorted I can give you a JumpStart in the morning ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Connect it to the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Had the same happen to me at the weekend. Dead battery. Hopped in the car Saturday morning and it struggled to turn over once before dying. No jump leads. None of the neighbours had jump leads. A couple of neighbours pushed the car out of the driveway and I push started it in reverse.
    Made my journey(about 40 minute drive). Turned off ignition and car was dead again.

Used same method an hour or two later and drove and got a new battery for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

There is a consort in Drumcondra. They will certainly have jump leads in stock, and a battery of you need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Rumour has it the OP is still looking for a jump...

Advertisement