Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another need new laptop thread

Options
  • 04-08-2016 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

Have money to finally upgrade my laptop. Budget of anything up to 600.
    Have always wanted a MacBook Pro and would be willing to hold out an extra few weeks to afford one but, are they really worth the money?
    Will be doing a masters next year, and doing a course this year that will require some presentation work/essays. Other then that the laptop will be just used to stream to shows/movies.
    Would prefer if it had a disc drive, doesn't need to be too fancy. As I'm clueless about technology/computing.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Forget the disk drive, it's a thing of the past. It was like getting a DVD VHS combo back in the day!

As for the Macbook, the current generation macbook is long overdue a refresh, they usually get updated yearly but the current one has been out a year and a half now. Despite this, the prices are still at the same level they were when it was new. I would feel a bit sick buying a Macbook Pro knowing that the new one was hopefully just around the corner.

What will you be using this machine for specifically? Typing up a thesis? And what budget do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Forget the disk drive, it's a thing of the past. It was like getting a DVD VHS combo back in the day!

As for the Macbook, the current generation macbook is long overdue a refresh, they usually get updated yearly but the current one has been out a year and a half now. Despite this, the prices are still at the same level they were when it was new. I would feel a bit sick buying a Macbook Pro knowing that the new one was hopefully just around the corner.

What will you be using this machine for specifically? Typing up a thesis? And what budget do you have?

I get your point regarding the MacBook. I will most likely be writing a thesis yes, I'm still a college student. My budget would be upwards of 500-600.

Thanks for your help thus far.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-5559-laptop/pd?ref=PD_Family

The Dell Inspiron range of laptops offers decent value for money. They actually have disk drives for some reason! The have good processors, good RAM, large (but slow...) hard disks. I've linked the 15" model as it could be nice having a bigger screen to look at when working for long periods, but there's also 13" models which should be similar spec wise.

Advertisement