Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papillon Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Charlie Hunnam, ugh. Rami Malek is a great actor but Hunamm is one of those guys that baffles me how he gets lead roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

So, we have a new contender for the most utterly pointless remake since The Wicker Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 videopirate

Not many films I say this about, even ones I love, but Papillon is an absolute masterpiece.

Another pointless remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

So, we have a new contender for the most utterly pointless remake since The Wicker Man.

Surely that award must go to Point Break 2016 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If it's closer to the book, then it might be worth a watch as IIRC there is quite a bit that's left out in Schaffner's effort. But it's really going to have its work cut out for it, if it's going to top the characters that McQueen and (especially) Hoffman embodied in the 1973 version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,370 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I spotted Chibs too in the trailer so is this Jax and Co., in another prison :p

Charlie Hunnam, ugh. Rami Malek is a great actor but Hunamm is one of those guys that baffles me how he gets lead roles.
    He is pretty, simple as, watching him in that trailer has ruined my morning.
    Tony EH wrote: »
    If it's closer to the book, then it might be worth a watch as IIRC there is quite a bit that's left out in Schaffner's effort. But it's really going to have its work cut out for it, if it's going to top the characters that McQueen and (especially) Hoffman embodied in the 1973 version.

Huge amount from the book not in there. If anything id say this film will have even less would be my prediction. The trailers make its look like a pretty tiny film. The book was one of the most vast I can remember reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Loved the original and the book but I’m not going to judge it until I’ve seen the finished article. With a story so powerful, surely at the very least it will make for a good show.

Spotted Harvey for the “This is England” series. Michael Socha. Good actor as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I dunno, to my mind actors used to have character and charisma.
    Nowadays they all look the same to me, as if they all come from a Holywood pretty-boy production line.
    There are some (but not many) notable exceptions.
    What best describes it to me is Centurion. It is by far not a perfect film, but you really get drawn in by Fassbender's performance.
    Now take The Eagle and Channing Tatum and you get what feels like a high school jock pretending to play legionaire.
    There's just zero depth to it.
    Maybe I'm just turning into Victor Meldrew. Or my dad. Especially when I watch any music awards ceremony these days, "Jaysis look at the state of yerman, did he sleep in a ditch? What is she wearing? That's not a skirt, that's a belt! That sounds like a monkey being stretched across a tennis court!"
    But where I am definitely right is that absolutely no band of today knows what a guitar solo is. Maybe because they can't play. Alice Cooper backs me up on that one.
    But it's just that up until the 90's music and film were happy to try new stuff and take risks. Nowadays it's just churning out the same crap over and over again and if people get sick of it, they have to find something else that's been done before and do a "reboot".
    Original content died sometimes in the early 2000's.
    /grumpy old git.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

I dunno, to my mind actors used to have character and charisma.
    Nowadays they all look the same to me, as if they all come from a Holywood pretty-boy production line.
    There are some (but not many) notable exceptions.

Load up with Tiny Tom Cruise, Leo DC, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Ethan Hawke, Josh Hartnett. All annoying, gurning pretty boys with nominal talent.

For all his many (many) (cinematic) indiscretions I'd exclude Depp from above list as I've always thought he's had genuine ability and charisma - such a pity he's squandered it so often.

MfMan wrote: »
    Load up with Tiny Tom Cruise, Leo DC, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Ethan Hawke, Josh Hartnett. All annoying, gurning pretty boys with nominal talent.

For all his many (many) (cinematic) indiscretions I'd exclude Depp from above list as I've always thought he's had genuine ability and charisma - such a pity he's squandered it so often.

Tom Cruise can act. Born on the 4th of July is an outstanding performance. Theres other decent ones too. He's a pretty exceptional guy in general. Leo has had plenty of great performances in outstanding films. Don't know how you could put those guys in the category of Hunnam a one dimensional guy to say the least.

Advertisement