Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Deep scratches on Toyota Corolla car! Advice please?

Options
  • 03-08-2016 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Today I was pulling in to an area and the back got caught on a gable end, creating deep scratches on the left side of the car, damaging the door, behind the door and the handle, I know it would cost hundreds to fix but I just don't have the money i'm afraid.

Would you guys have any advice for creating a fix or semi fix so it atleast looks farily ok?

I would appreciate any advice guys.

Below is a picture of the damage

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Ooohh, thats a nasty one!
    Hard to say, but I reckon you could get some of the nasty look away with a polish, but you will be left with deeper gouges. Some companies are able to do smart repairs on localized areas - worth asking around.
    The likes of Trimtech, if you are in or around Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

That's gone through the paintwork by looks of things. I don't think any detailing work will help, it needs to be sprayed realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Thanks guys. Any idea how much it would cost? Roughly .based in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

At least €250 - €300.

Seeing as you're in Galway, I'd highly recommend Frank Byrnes out near Oranmore. He does an overnight "smart" repair service which might be suitable for this and keep the cost down...

http://www.frankbyrnes.com/#!overnight-body-repairs/c1w8f

thats great joe, thanks very much for the info, for the lad in claregalway, hopefully it is not too expensive :(

the more i look at the damage the more i realise it will not be a turtle was fix, it has gone down quiete deep and needs a pro to fix it.

• Advertisement

Did you try any sort of polish on it? Im guessing a lot of the white is actually plaster from the wall - you'll still have bad marks, but the white is make it worse looking.

Curran wrote: »
    Did you try any sort of polish on it? Im guessing a lot of the white is actually plaster from the wall - you'll still have bad marks, but the white is make it worse looking.

At the gap between the door and panel you can see that metal has been taken off the panel. I don't think polishing will do much :p Looks like all the scrapes went down to bare metal

shietpilot wrote: »
    At the gap between the door and panel you can see that metal has been taken off the panel. I don't think polishing will do much :p Looks like all the scrapes went down to bare metal

I know its heartbreaking. Gonna show it to frank byrnes tomorrow or this evening and see if he can do something affordable.

If I was to leave it for a period of time to get it fixed.what is the max length of time you guys would leave it as is before getting it repaired?

Broke as a joke with other expenses. Would love to put it off for a couple months.

If you don't treat it the scrapes will begin to show rust. I don't think it would rust too badly over the space of a few months but I think it might cost more if you need to sort out rust too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I know its heartbreaking. Gonna show it to frank byrnes tomorrow or this evening and see if he can do something affordable.

If I was to leave it for a period of time to get it fixed.what is the max length of time you guys would leave it as is before getting it repaired?

Broke as a joke with other expenses. Would love to put it off for a couple months.

Yeah, unforeseen bills are a real pain in the arse...

But you should show it to Frank byrnes anyway, get a quote, ask them about the overnight service. Its very handy as you drop it off in the evening and collect in the morning. Fixed while you sleep... so no hassle with getting a replacement car or lifts for the day, etc.

You don't have to get it done straight away, it's not going to rust that quickly, but it would annoy me looking at it...

• Advertisement

I hear ya, I'd prefer to get it sorted sooner than later TBH, I will show it to frank, thanks for the info gents.(and ladies)

I never intended to mean that polishing will fix it - I meant it will take the harsh look off it, and that it would be a bit easier to assess.
    The OP stated 'Would you guys have any advice for creating a fix or semi fix so it atleast looks farily ok?'.....deep down, they know it's a repaint, and they dont need me to tell them that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All,

Sorry to jump on this topic, but it is kind of related. I stupidly tried to dry my car with a dried cloth that was used previously for waxing the car. The result was minor scratches, that appear to be surface only. I didnt think a dried cloth (all be it with with traces of wax on it) would leave scratches, but anyway I heard spraying oil on it would remove the scratches. I have tried this but it didnt appear to work.

does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove these scratches? maybe i didnt leave the oil on long enough or something, but any advice would be great.

Thanks

Polishing is the only way to remove.
    Plenty of ways to hide it but nothing can permanently hide it.

And yes, even a brand new (poor quality) drying towel will leave micro swirls in the paintwork.

Advertisement