Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying from Dealership - Advice Needed

Options
  • 03-08-2016 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

My wife and I are considering purchasing a brand new car from a dealership within the next month or so. It goes against everything I personally believe in terms of depreciation, etc. but she really wants one so as long as she's paying for it herself, let her on.

Anyway I have no experience in dealing with guys from dealerships. All the cars we have ever owned have been privately purchased.

Is it possible to haggle with guys in the dealerships to get discounts? Or will the price be the same regardless of whatever dealer I go to (say Audi for example)??

Any advice that could be provided in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes haggling works.

Visit a few dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is definitely room for discount if you are buying without a trade in. The amount of discount will depend on many factors such as how much the dealer wants to make a sale, availability of the model, how popular/unpopular the car is, sales target in relation to the time of the month/quarter/year, etc.

The best advise I would give is visit as many dealers as you can and try to play dealers of the same brand off each other for their lowest price. Also best to visit in person as opposed to email or phone calls as dealers get lots of emails/calls everyday that rarely materialize into a sale. Also don't be afraid to travel within reason for the best deal. With a new car it can be serviced or repaired under warranty from any dealer of the same brand nationwide rather than just where it was bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

We went into a dealership at the weekend and were looking at a car which was priced at around €38k including all of the extras. Realistically, roughly how much of a discount do you think I could push for on this (in % terms)???

Also, there was no free servicing included for the first three years. Whereas with another manufacturer there was. This is also something that I could possibly haggle for??

The car my wife is driving at the moment is a 2005. I never mentioned to any of the dealers about trading this in as I assumed it might be too old. Also, I think I could probably get a better price myself selling privately. Is this a good plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

We went into a dealership at the weekend and were looking at a car which was priced at around €38k including all of the extras. Realistically, roughly how much of a discount do you think I could push for on this (in % terms)???

Also, there was no free servicing included for the first three years. Whereas with another manufacturer there was. This is also something that I could possibly haggle for??

The car my wife is driving at the moment is a 2005. I never mentioned to any of the dealers about trading this in as I assumed it might be too old. Also, I think I could probably get a better price myself selling privately. Is this a good plan?

Absolutely. The 2005 car is worth zilch for a main dealer, it is actually a hassle. You'll get a better price for the car at the free market.

If everything plays well for you, you can reach around € 4k of discount for €38000 car.

It all depends on the current demand for particular brand and model, availability of scrappage offer, is it a special order or stock car and many different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is no set % for discount on all cars. There are so many factors as I outlined in my previous post. You could get up to 10% discount off a model easily available but not very popular while only getting 4% at best off a model that was only recently launched and flying out the dealer's showroom.

As for free servicing, these are usually part of promotions offered by the manufacturers to boost sales the same way as other manufacturers offer larger discounts for scrapping an old car. They are manufacturer/dealer specific and generally don't apply to all makes or dealers. You very rarely get all offers together.

At the end of the day haggling a discount is like a game of poker and depends how good you are at both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I got almost six thousand for a 2004 Toyota Avensis corolla in 2013,would I have got more selling it privately.

My sister got eight and a half thousand euros trade in for a 2008 volvo V50.

Would it be better to sell the trade in cars privately in future and then haggle,it sounds like hassle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Discounts vary make to make, model to model, and dealer to dealer.

End of the month or better still quarter may make a dealer keener. Your willingness to take a car ex stock will be another factor.

Let them know that you will be buying new, and that you have the money ready.

Hard to say which manufacturers discount the most - maybe Renault? At the other end of the scale you'll not get huge money off an in demand BMW/Merc/Audi model.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 countrygal25

Hi guys
    Bought a renault Clio new from dealer last year so its due for service now. Just wondering if anyone has any idea on how much a service from main dealer costs these days?

Cheers!

Hi guys
    Bought a renault Clio new from dealer last year so its due for service now. Just wondering if anyone has any idea on how much a service from main dealer costs these days?

Cheers!

It varies. Best to ask the dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

When trading in a car, it's not so much what they will give you for the Trade In. What's more important is the Net Price. You may think you are getting a good price for your Trade In, but they could be hitting you with Full Price for the New Car. It might actually be better to get less for the Trade In but get a larger discount on the New Car, resulting in a lower Net Price or your "out of pocket" cost.

Most Likely you will get more if you sell your old car privately and purchase the New Car without a Trade In, but be prepared for the hassle. If it's not a popular model, it can take time. If you are prepared to deal with the tire kickers and time wasters, then it can be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Thanks for the advice everyone. i don't foresee any problems selling the old car (touch wood!!) as it's a diesel sports model with a high BHP, sport seats, full service history, lady driver, etc. I brought it in from NI and I am confident that there aren't that many similar models down here.

I will shop around with a few different dealers over the next few weeks and see how we go. Will keep you posted on the results

Advertisement