Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake Fluid question

Options
  • 03-08-2016 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question , going at a corroded brake line on the Fiat Ducato today.
    I have a new litre of DOT 4 fluid, but I see on the brake reservoir cap it says you should "Use only DOT 3 fluid".
    Can I top up the system with the DOT 4, mixing the two?
    Cheers, Nec.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Dot 4 is compatible its also glycol based but with additive to raise the boiling point. If the dot3 is more than a few years old you might as well take the opportunity to flush the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Thank crabbypaddy, got sorted. Cut the line up behind the engine and put a joiner on it, and new copper to the caliper.
    Passed test last Monday, so off to France next Tue.!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Thank crabbypaddy, got sorted. Cut the line up behind the engine and put a joiner on it, and new copper to the caliper.
    Passed test last Monday, so off to France next Tue.!

A flare union not a compression fitting I hope a compression fitting should be a fail.

A flare union not a compression fitting I hope a compression fitting should be a fail.

Ah no, put double flares on all ends and a joiner where I cut. Put a couple of extra plastic clips on the new piece, because I found out before that copper needs to be well supported against vibration.
    Bit of a knack doing a good double flare, worth practicing on a spare bit of piping first.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Ah no, put double flares on all ends and a joiner where I cut. Put a couple of extra plastic clips on the new piece, because I found out before that copper needs to be well supported against vibration.
    Bit of a knack doing a good double flare, worth practicing on a spare bit of piping first.

I got a franklin DIN/ISO flare tool perfect flare everytime seems to be loads of no brand versions of it now well worth it fore time saved and ability to do flarees in situ..
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-PH-BFT-475-4-75mm-DIN-Powerhand-New-/161353061492?hash=item2591645474:g:LzMAAOSwgkRVU1Ec

I use cunifer it doesnt work harden and fracture like copper shows up very cheap on ebay from time to time.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cupro-Nickel-Brake-Pipe-3-16-Copper-Nickel-0-028-wall-thickness-25ft-333-/201636930836?hash=item2ef27f6514:g:UZEAAOSwaB5Xn1qq

• Advertisement

It's a Draper set I have. Bought it years ago when building a cattle trailer for the jeep. Might only get used once a year, but handy to have.
    I'll watch out for the brake piping.
    With the enforcement of trailer regs. by the RSA, homemade trailers and hydraulic braking systems thereon now effectively illegal.

Advertisement