Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to start up?

Options
  • 03-08-2016 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, how long is normal to start up?
    Mine takes 5 minutes, networked, to log in and have my outlook opens. This doesnt bother me, however it drives my colleague mad and he thinks its too long.
    Ive googled to see what 'normal' is, however as there are a number of factors that contribute to it, there is no real answer.
    Just to throw in there, windows 7, HP, laptop is about 3 years old.
    Purely out of curiosity, how long does yours take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

8 yr old DELL Inspirion laptop running Windows 10. Less than 50 seconds before i can access Chrome.

Happy enough with that given the age of the laptop. (4GB RAM, 1.2 Dual Core processor).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

8 year old Inspiron core 2 duo. Put an SSD in it last year and it now boots to usable desktop in about 30 seconds. Was pretty fast before that as well to be fair.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mel123 wrote: »
    Just wondering, how long is normal to start up?
    Mine takes 5 minutes, networked, to log in and have my outlook opens. This doesnt bother me, however it drives my colleague mad and he thinks its too long.
    Ive googled to see what 'normal' is, however as there are a number of factors that contribute to it, there is no real answer.
    Just to throw in there, windows 7, HP, laptop is about 3 years old.
    Purely out of curiosity, how long does yours take?

That is far too long really. Something not right there.

The usual trick is to review your startup programs and remove most of them.

Mine takes about 50/60 seconds with a HDD, Core i5 3rd gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 problemnext

Bout 30-40 seconds from pressing the button to google home page. got an ssd on stephens day on amazon for 40£. new machine since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Wow yes, seems its a long time compared to everyone else!!! I thought it was completely normal that time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement