Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necessary to weigh a camper before a trip abroad?

Options
  • 02-08-2016 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Is it necessary to weigh a camper before a trip abroad?
    More necessary for UK or mainland Europe?

If stopped, are you expected to know the weight of your van within, say 50kg? Are you expected to show a printout the proves it was recently weighed (I know that's only a snapshot in time)?

I know they can be weighed at places that would normally weigh freight/trucks etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have never been stopped in the last 8 years here or in France. Perhaps somebody on here has been? I would say it's not necessary unless you feel that you may be exceeding the max weight of your MH or it looks like it's overloaded.

Edit: most campers would be at or near their max load when full of fuel, water, people, etc etc

Is there weights indicated on the DOE test report?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FiftyNine

The issue of overweight campervans was highlighted in the UK in the last year or two, Police and VOSA started to weigh them and it was found that a large proportion of them were overweight. Maybe some of the UK Campervan Forums might have some details about this.

Your printout from the test centre will tell you what the weight of the campervan was when it was tested, so you having a full tank of diesel and no water on board will give you a good baseline to calculate you 'going on holiday' weight from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

But be aware, it is the plated weight of the vehicle that applies to your licence, not the actual weight. E.g. if your campervan is weighted to 4,000kg you can't drive it on a B licence even if you only have it loaded to 3,200kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

FiftyNine wrote: »
    Police and VOSA started to weigh them and it was found that a large proportion of them were overweight

VOSA found 80% overweight at the port a few years ago, not surprising considering the number of coachbuilts manufacturers have put on the 1.4 ton ducato chassis to save themselves a few euro. If you have 15 inch wheels its the lightweight chassis and theres a fair chance you're overloaded / close to overloaded all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FiftyNine

80%!!!

What happen to them? Were they allowed to continue on their hols or did they have to unload a few bits & pieces? (Bold Kids etc!) Would they have been fined?

Weighed at the port so presumably mostly Irish campers involved, I wonder if VOSA have weighed many UK campers and what are their results?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

FiftyNine wrote: »
    80%!!!

What happen to them? Were they allowed to continue on their hols or did they have to unload a few bits & pieces? (Bold Kids etc!) Would they have been fined?

Weighed at the port so presumably mostly Irish campers involved, I wonder if VOSA have weighed many UK campers and what are their results?

In UK its fiexed penalty of £200, possible points on licence and can't continue until axle weights are corrected. Still it seems you'd be unlucky to be stopped with the exception of switzerland where they routinely weigh people for vignette purposes.

Advertisement