Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X99 Bios update: Help Needed

Options
  • 02-08-2016 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I was wondering would anyone on here in Dublin with maybe a half built X99 system be able to flash my MSI X99A SLI to the latest Bios, I need it running the latest bios to run my CPU and forgot to update it before I replaced my old CPU.
    I could drive to your place and have all parts minus a CPU, would prefer not to buy a new CPU just to flash the board.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have a completely built X99 system, and it'd be a pain in the ass to dissassemble (I made a poor choice in case...), but if you're completely stuck I can pull it apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Iirc , you can flash that board blind , without a cpu installed . I had one of those boards at one stage and I'm about 80% I read that somewhere.

I'll try and find some more info on it and get back to you.

Edit.

I can't find much online about it . It was probably a different board as I've had a few .

You could always buy an openbox item from Amazon , use it to flash your board and then send it back for a full refund . Here's a nice cheap one,

https://www.amazon.de/Intel-E5-2609V3-Processor-LGA2011-v3-Socket/dp/B00M1BUW8G/ref=sr_1_7?m=A8KICS1PHF7ZO&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1470220000&sr=1-7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I can't find anything either. There is a gigabyte board with a Q-Flash tech for flashing a bios without a CPU which may be confusing since MSI have M-Flash for flashing from a USB Stick (though it requires a posting machine as far as i can tell).

Xenoronin wrote: »
    I can't find anything either. There is a gigabyte board with a Q-Flash tech for flashing a bios without a CPU which may be confusing since MSI have M-Flash for flashing from a USB Stick (though it requires a posting machine as far as i can tell).

Maybe that's where I'm getting mixed up . I know that I had a board or seen a board at one stage that could be blind flashed, although it was meant to be quite risky .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Spear wrote: »
    I have a completely built X99 system, and it'd be a pain in the ass to dissassemble (I made a poor choice in case...), but if you're completely stuck I can pull it apart.
    Thanks for the offer, you would be doing me a huge favour. Could give 20 for a couple of drinks to De-stress after the hassle? :)

• Advertisement

Maybe that's where I'm getting mixed up . I know that I had a board or seen a board at one stage that could be blind flashed, although it was meant to be quite risky .
    I looked into this already as I had an Asus board that could do it at one stage. Unfortunately this board doesn't support flashing a motherboard without a CPU (My X79 rampage supported this I believe). It also doesn't have removable Bios to replace them with updated ones.

You could always buy an openbox item from Amazon , use it to flash your board and then send it back for a full refund . Here's a nice cheap one,

https://www.amazon.de/Intel-E5-2609V3-Processor-LGA2011-v3-Socket/dp/B00M1BUW8G/ref=sr_1_7?m=A8KICS1PHF7ZO&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1470220000&sr=1-7
    I would be tempted but I would feel like I would be wasting a companies time/money doing this so I wouldn't end up doing it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

deceit wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer, you would be doing me a huge favour. Could give 20 for a couple of drinks to De-stress after the hassle? :)

I don't drink...

Anyhow, if no-one else is available let alone more convenient, then I guess I can do this tomorrow evening.

Spear wrote: »
    I don't drink...

Anyhow, if no-one else is available let alone more convenient, then I guess I can do this tomorrow evening.

I don't drink myself :).

Sure, I could bring over all the parts minus a CPU so you would just need to take off the CPU cooler if that suits better? Would save fully pulling your machine apart?

deceit wrote: »
    I don't drink myself :).

Sure, I could bring over all the parts minus a CPU so you would just need to take off the CPU cooler if that suits better? Would save fully pulling your machine apart?

Yeah, you'll need to bring all the parts. Even removing the minimal parts from my own is quite a chore.

Does the boards current BIOS level support the use of a 5960 8 core though?

• Advertisement

Yea it supports any of the 5 series cpus. It just doesn't support the latest cpus.

I'm in Tramore mate. If I was closer I'd offer my cpu to you to sort it out.

I've been in that situation before and I know how frustrating it is .

Currently Deceit should be able to get sorted by someone he knows nearby.

Thanks for all the offers of help and suggestions. I managed to source a 5820k from a friend for Saturday so I should be able to flash it then :)

Advertisement