Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a Priest's parish (probably in Roscommon) in 1840

Options
  • 02-08-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I know that a man named Timothy Cavenagh was a Parish Priest in 1840, probably in Roscommon, possibly Galway. He provided character references for a family who emigrated to Australia in 1840, and I'm trying to find out where they came from.

Does anyone know how I can find out what parish he was in?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"Maynooth students and ordinations index, 1795-1895" by Patrick J. Hamell might have some information. I don't know if you can email Maynooth and ask them to look him up, or whether it would have the parishes he was assigned to. Others may know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The only Tim Kavanagh as P.P. I found so far in the 1839 directory is in Newbridge, Co. KIdare

• Registered Users Posts: 22 riverina

Thanks for replies.

shanew your reply is of huge interest. Despite the father being from Galway and the mother from Roscommon, in Australia the son claimed connections with Kildare (that I am trying to validate), so that could be the correct Timothy Kavanagh. Can you tell me the name of the directory you're looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

not sure of the name of the 1839 directory I dont have the front page .. The directory is on Google books, something like Catholic Directory of 1839. There's also an 1838 edition, they both may cover England and Wales also.

A Timothy Kavanagh, presumably the same one, appears as P.P. in Newbridge in the Ecclesiastical Directory in Thom's in 1848 and 1850, possibly later years also..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Reverend Timothy Kavanagh, former parish priest of Newbridge, died in 1872 as per the will calendars.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 riverina

Excellent. Thanks heaps for all the help!

Advertisement