Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 700T - OS question

Options
  • 02-08-2016 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

was just "gifted" a 700T supposedly with Win8 on it.
    However when I got it the battery was totally dead and after getting into the BIOS I could see it had fully reset.

Just glad I got past the first bit, initially as the battery was drained the only thing I could see was a message that all boot options had been tried, but got into the BIOS settings shortly after.

Updating the boot method to UEFI & CSM I'm getting to the ms login screen but it won't recognise me so I'm at the point where I think I need to do a reinstall. FYI, I have reset my hotmail password now a few times and despite being on my home network it won't recognise me.

So my question is what do I put on?
    Win 8
    Win 10
    Linux ? no idea here.
    Based on the advice here I'll go searching for a guide on using a bootable USB stick etc but would prefer to get some expert advice on what will be the most useful.

Intended use:
    Browsing, possibly some document (word or similar), accessing home network, wireless printer, email etc. Nothing too taxing.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would fresh install Windows 8.1 on it tbh. Linux could have a lot of driver trouble given that's it's a convertible tablet. And if you don't have I'm not certain about Windows 10 drivers on that machine either!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Cheers Alanstrainor. There's the rub, don't have it but I guess that can be easily remedied with PC world or MS direct.

Appreciate the tip though, with the f4 reset failing thought I might have to do something like this, but had hoped linux would work out of the box if only to save money, but if there are driver issues then that's a can of worms I'll throw back I think.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Taltos wrote: »
    Cheers Alanstrainor. There's the rub, don't have it but I guess that can be easily remedied with PC world or MS direct.

Appreciate the tip though, with the f4 reset failing thought I might have to do something like this, but had hoped linux would work out of the box if only to save money, but if there are driver issues then that's a can of worms I'll throw back I think.

This tablet came with Windows 8, I have a very similar tablet from a similar time and it's license key was saved in the bios, and the system auto-activated after I reinstalled a year ago...

Tried reinstalling but the key was lost or corrupted by whatever forced me to do the reinstall...
    Went and put win10 on it - so far so good. Behaving quite nicely with no obvious issues so far ;)

Taltos wrote: »
    Tried reinstalling but the key was lost or corrupted by whatever forced me to do the reinstall...
    Went and put win10 on it - so far so good. Behaving quite nicely with no obvious issues so far ;)

Great to hear! Just playing around with the latest Windows 10 update, it's very nice indeed!

• Advertisement

It is and I much prefer the interface to win 8.
    Even though it as only for a few hours until I realised a key was difficult to get I found it unwieldy. Have to play with it a bit more especially in adding tiles, the intuitive way from android just doesn't seem to work.

Either way cheers for the advice, always happier to get a second opinion on something like this.

Advertisement