Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 focus with 250,039km mileage

Options
  • 02-08-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I'm going to look at a car tomorrow it's a ford focus 2008 with 250k km on the clock, it's a 1.6 diesel.
    1 owner, service history included.
    Do you think this is too high to be considered or is it ok as it's diesel? It says the timing belt and water pump were done at 230k km. Is there anything else I should ask about when viewing?
    They're asking for 5 grand.
    Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

alypally wrote: »
    Hi, I'm going to look at a car tomorrow it's a ford focus 2008 with 250k km on the clock, it's a 1.6 diesel.
    1 owner, service history included.
    Do you think this is too high to be considered or is it ok as it's diesel? It says the timing belt and water pump were done at 230k km. Is there anything else I should ask about when viewing?
    They're asking for 5 grand.
    Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated!

It's 30k + per year so it's very much on the high side there will be plenty in around 100-150k so this one would want to be much cheaper than an average mileage one as your resale will be practically zero, but if it was well looked after it could be ok. Personally I wouldn't touch this but your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's a 155k miles in old money.

That engine can be problematic irrespective of what mileage it's done and certainly not the most robust or reliable engine out there. There are alot of bad ones so a verified service history with evidence of regular oil changes and not just a tall tale about some mechanic living across the road servicing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alypally

Thanks for that.
    I'm trading in my own 07 mondeo as the tax is killing me and tbh the body is too big and I can't park it for sh#t. I'm not fixed on the focus but I'm looking for something 08 or newer with a lower tax band, something reliable as I don't have the funds for something that costs a lot to be maintained.
    I've been quoted 3k trade in value for my modeo and have 3k cash to add.
    Any other models you would recommend?
    bazz26 wrote: »
    That's a 155k miles in old money.

That engine can be problematic irrespective of what mileage it's done and certainly not the most robust or reliable engine out there. There are alot of bad ones so a verified service history with evidence of regular oil changes and not just a tall tale about some mechanic living across the road servicing it.

I'd look at either a Corolla/Auris or Kia Ceed/Hyundai i30 diesel. All those would be less risky and generally more reliable but will cost you more to buy up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alypally

The Toyota were out of my price range for an 08 but there were a few kia ceed...I'll look into that, thanks a mill.
    Always thought the focus was fairly solid
    bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd look at either a Corolla/Auris or Kia Ceed/Hyundai i30 diesel. All those would be less risky and generally more reliable but will cost you more to buy up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Offaly Exile

Bazz - On the subject of the Ford Focus, what would your opinion in general be of say a 2013 petrol Ford Focus 1.0 Eco Boost.

Thanks.

I've no personal experience of them and they are rare enough here but there are no horror stories out there with them either. Supposed to be a good engine, available in two versions - 100bhp and 125bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Offaly Exile

Bazz , thanks I've been looking at a couple of them on line at Ford dealers up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

alypally wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I'm trading in my own 07 mondeo as the tax is killing me and tbh the body is too big and I can't park it for sh#t. I'm not fixed on the focus but I'm looking for something 08 or newer with a lower tax band, something reliable as I don't have the funds for something that costs a lot to be maintained.
    I've been quoted 3k trade in value for my modeo and have 3k cash to add.
    Any other models you would recommend?

What engine is in the mondeo? If it's the 1.8 tdci, that can be gotten in the focus too. Old school, but more reliable then the 1.6. Not as plentiful however. €390 tax p.a for the 1.8 too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement