Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy used car with tow bar or have it fixed

Options
  • 02-08-2016 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I need a car with a tow bar for occasionally pulling around a light trailer. I need to sell my existing car. However would you buy a used car with one already on it or just buy a used car and get one fixed.

I'm thinking of getting a 2005 - 2007 petrol hatchback, Golf or A3.

Advantages of car already with tow bar:
    * Dont have cost of fitting it.

Disadvantages of car already with tow bar:
    * Car may have done a lot of heaving towing which wore down or damaged parts.
    * Much smaller range of cars to choose from. Very few cars advertised with tow bar.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd say to not limit yourself but to look at all cars. Factor in price of towbar and fitting if the car already doesn't have towbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,174 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Buy the right car first and then get a hitch fitted if it doesn't have one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I bought a new towbar from www.towbarsbay including relay and electrics for €165 incl delivery, I fitted myself in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just look for a good motor with service history. If there's a towbar fine, if not get one fitted.
    It would be an odd criteria to be selecting cars on and as someone else mentioned it's not expensive to fit one.

My opinion is that if someone is going to dog a car so badly towing they would probably just be dogging the car when not towing too.

Advertisement