Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

American cable gauges

Options
  • 02-08-2016 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to convert american cable spec into a amp loading?

I'm installing an air horn and there are two specs of gable given: no less than 14-gauge wire and elsewhere 18-gauge wire.

Just looking on Halfords (as there's one beside work) and the cable is all rated in amps. I have no way of working out the loading on the cables so was wondering if anyone could give a steer from the gauge rating?

Link to halfords:

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-5-amp-cable-red-hef711

They also have 8, 17 and 27amp available. IT's all priced similarly but 27amp seems overkill for what I need.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

14 gauge wire or 14 AWG in metric is 2.08mm² cross sectional area
    18 gauge wire or 18 AWG in metric is 0.82mm² cross sectional area

Rounding up both for safety you are talking about 2.5mm² wire for the 14 AWG and 1.0mm² wire for the 18 AWG

1.0mm² = approx 10 amps
    2.5mm² = approx 23 amps

There are other factors like temperature and cable length to consider, but 1.0mm² for the 18 gauge and 2.5mm² for the 14 gauge should be more than enough

If buying the Halfords cable (which doesn’t give the cross sectional area) then 17amp cable for the 18 gauge and 27 amp for the 14 gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Much appreciated!

Advertisement