Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse leg swollen to triple it's size

Options
  • 02-08-2016 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a question.I have a horse who has gloved her hind leg last autumn.The wound has healed well apart from a small patch that is still in the process of healing.It was a very nasty wound. She has all vaccinations including tetanus. I keep the wound covered with a pampers to avoid the frickin magpies picking at it. Unfortunately I went away for the evening on Saturday and had minder in the house for the dog. (hates being alone) She took it upon herself to bandage my horses leg and forgot to tell me about it. When I went out in the morning to check on the horses,my girls leg was swollen to 3 times its normal size due to restrained circulation. (of course I freaked at the minder). I have been hosing the leg down pretty much every hour, and am keeping her mobile. Pain treatment with Bute. Anyone any idea of her chances of recovery? Circulation was restrained for +/- 12 hours...vet is checking every day. She doesn't know what her chances are so I'm reaching out in case anyone has any experience with this...:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What has the vet said about her chances?
    Why did the minder change the bandages? It seems like a really odd thing to do to someone elses horse when you weren't told to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Vet doesn't dare to give an opinion. I had left the pampers I usually use to protect the space off as it was raining and the birds weren't active. Minder said she bandaged it because it was bleeding a bit(which it does from time to time as the wound was over the hock).Trust me I have freaked out at the minder but non of that helps now..I just want to know if anyone here has any similar experience which could give me some hope.I'm worried sick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

We can't give veterinary advice in the forum, Mrs Doubtfire, but posters can make suggestions based on injuries their horses may have experienced in the past. I would be guided by your vet as they're the professionals. If you would like a second opinion then get another vet out to look at your horse. Most vets I've had out for injuries or illness would generally give an opinion, no matter how hesitant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Mrs D.
    Keeping her active is the best way to shift odema . Is there anyway you can get to a river , lake or the sea. You really need to get the whole leg in as cold a water as possible. Walking in the Sea being the best as the salt water would even be good for the cut. If you were near somewhere which had an equine pool it would be worth it as the swimming would also get the leg moving.

Re Hosing . Rather than just letting the water run down the leg could you get Her to stand in something as big as a Half Barrel(those big blue plastic ones)
    and have the hose running into it at full power so as to create a jacuzzi effect of constant moving water once its full. It wiill mean that the whole leg is getting the cold effect rather than just that bit the water is running down.

it may take a while but you will get it sorted

thank you. I actually have a river along side the land so Val and I took a plunge this morning at 5.30 am. (not that she appreciated it but she complied).When I left for work at 8 she was happily stamping through the field, putting full weight on the leg and the swelling had visibly reduced(river is pretty cold). Thanks so so much!!!

• Advertisement

thank you. I actually have a river along side the land so Val and I took a plunge this morning at 5.30 am. (not that she appreciated it but she complied).When I left for work at 8 she was happily stamping through the field, putting full weight on the leg and the swelling had visibly reduced(river is pretty cold). Thanks so so much!!!
    Great .
    I would recommend you try and get in there as often as possible over the next few days even when things get back to normal. It will do the deep seated infection thats causing the wound to still seep good in the long term.

Esroh wrote: »
    Great .
    I would recommend you try and get in there as often as possible over the next few days even when things get back to normal. It will do the deep seated infection thats causing the wound to still seep good in the long term.

oh dear....ok I will. i'll probably catch my death cause she won't go in there without me lol.My diva. Love her so much.

oh dear....ok I will. i'll probably catch my death cause she won't go in there without me lol.My diva. Love her so much.

Are you not riding her in,

Val can't be ridden. She has been very badly abused in the past.:mad:

Advertisement