Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2400mm floor to ceiling height

Options
  • 02-08-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

There are a few old threads in relation to this query.

I would always design a habitable room with an absolute
    min. of 2400mm as set out in the regs..
    I don't think you should ever intentionally design a
    room with a lower floor to ceiling.
    However what happens if you change floor finish
    from carpet to 20mm engineered timber floor and the
    floor to ceiling is 2380mm am I still compliant re
    the regs

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The 2.4m height is a ventilation suggestion from TGD Part F.
    Its a suggested height.

Can you demonstrate that the room will be ventilated accordinally with the lower height?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

This is an interesting one:

kceire - if you were to be shown a MHRV design with input/extract calculations for a room with a ceiling height lower than 2.4m would you consider that acceptable?

I realise opinions may vary .... but yours has a bit if weight! ;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This is an interesting one:

kceire - if you were to be shown a MHRV design with input/extract calculations for a room with a ceiling height lower than 2.4m would you consider that acceptable?

I realise opinions may vary .... but yours has a bit if weight! ;-)

Within reason.
    2.0m = no
    2.3m = probably

I'm sitting here in my house, built in 2006 and the FFL to ceiling is 2380.
    Context too plays a part, a brand new house, it should be designed out, loft conversion, I can work with existing heights as long as other parameters are met.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Also, the 2400mm is a 'suggested' minimum, so definitely not absolute.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I have always found that strange PUT.

The TGD's themselves are, in theory, only "suggestions" of one way, albeit the only prima facie way, of complying with the regulations:

So with that in mind - can you be said to be complying with the TGD and hence complying with the regulations if you don't have a 2400mm ceiling. If the answer is yes then why does the TGD even bother giving a height and if the answer is no then why does it say "recommendations" when it holds the same strength as all the other items in the TGD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I have always found that strange PUT.

The TGD's themselves are, in theory, only "suggestions" of one way, albeit the only prima facie way, of complying with the regulations:

So with that in mind - can you be said to be complying with the TGD and hence complying with the regulations if you don't have a 2400mm ceiling. If the answer is yes then why does the TGD even bother giving a height and if the answer is no then why does it say "recommendations" when it holds the same strength as all the other items in the TGD.

The answer I always get when I ask that question is that I should always treat the words 'recommend' or 'suggest' as 'will be' or 'shall be' or 'as a minimum should be' and all is sorted. But I always found the dillema with certification rather than with design or specification, the TGD's seem to give an easy opt out for the certifier, especially a developers 'in house' certifier.

I treat the 2400 as a minimum and would always call it, even for 20mm.

Advertisement