Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Atlas <snip> - rip off

Options
  • 02-08-2016 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

Went back 5 pages and couldn't see anything about Atlas so I said I'd throw this up.

Had a few jobs to do anyway on the car so I brought it to Atlas in <snip> (it suited better than going back to Galway and getting it done). That was grand, left it there for a while and got a call about what's to be done, told me it'd be over 2 grand, I said leave it, he told me best he could do was €1500 with combination of labour. So I just told him I'd get back to him.

Brought it back to my usual man in Galway, he said everything (plus another small job) would be €700.

Basically just giving people a heads up on this place. Don't know the first thing about cars really so if it wasn't for my ole lad I'd be €800 poorer.

I'm also wondering if there's anything that can be done? As in reporting it to someone or some regulator or something?

Man thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

So you mean Atlas asked 1500 Euro for putting 4 tyres into a volvo xc90 and your man changed timing belt in honda accord for 700 ?

Joking aside, please share more details on work needed/done, parts/labour and car to be able to say we are comparing the exact same work price wise. Even quality of parts used may differ a lot.

Chains are known to inflate cost by adding unnecessary work by scaring customers but charging twice for the same work is easy to question by customers and risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You have one mechanics word against another and based on this you start a thread slagging a business?

It won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So what did guy in Atlas say was wrong with it?
    What did he say he would fix?
    What did the usual guy in Galway say was wrong with it?
    What did usual guy fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not defending them, no connection, but:

- Is your quote like for like? My indy can usually do things cheaper using OEM or non-branded parts, or reduce the labour by slotting me in when he's not overly busy and I'm not in a rush. Atlas may be quoting for completely branded parts.

- Atlas is a chain, they are not catering for those that want to use an indy. If someone is happy to part their cash there, that's on them. Its business afterall, charge the absolute maximum you can. Given their numerous locations, people must be happy to pay it.

- You drove the car to Galway, assuming you live in Dublin or need to return there, you'd need to factor your own time and fuel into the equation. If you value yourself at around minimum wage, you're looking at maybe €150 in costs there when you add in fuel as well.

Above all, they are not ripping people off. They are setting a price, its up to the consumer to decide if they want to pay it. Don't want to pay €50 for an Armani t-shirt in BTs? Wander down to Jack & Jones and buy the same product quality at €12.50 a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

ironclaw wrote:
    - Atlas is a chain,

Their actually a franchise and as such don't have standardised prices across the company. Some of them are shocking bad at prices, others are more reasonable but as a whole they best avoided. The parent company just doesn't give a **** about the franchisees as the owner is too busy making his fortune through property. IMO obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I've a picture of the receipt. I'll stick up receipt from other place tomorrow.

I've been assured that all parts being put in now are genuine. Being done by a well known garage.

We've a problem here in the sense that I don't really know anything about cars, but my father was a mechanic for a few years when he was younger and knows a good deal and he's saying too that I was getting ripped off.

https://s31.postimg.org/6o2cpbbh7/20160802_131447.png

Oh ya, another thing, brake pads and discs were replaced a few months back and I was told there is absolutely no need to have them replaced. That they would last another while yet.

biko wrote: »
    You have one mechanics word against another and based on this you start a thread slagging a business?

It won't do.

Relax there Ted. Hardly slagging. Just saying that I have been over charged, and I've been reliably informed that I have been.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Not defending them, no connection, but:

- Is your quote like for like? My indy can usually do things cheaper using OEM or non-branded parts, or reduce the labour by slotting me in when he's not overly busy and I'm not in a rush. Atlas may be quoting for completely branded parts.

- Atlas is a chain, they are not catering for those that want to use an indy. If someone is happy to part their cash there, that's on them. Its business afterall, charge the absolute maximum you can. Given their numerous locations, people must be happy to pay it.

- You drove the car to Galway, assuming you live in Dublin or need to return there, you'd need to factor your own time and fuel into the equation. If you value yourself at around minimum wage, you're looking at maybe €150 in costs there when you add in fuel as well.

Above all, they are not ripping people off. They are setting a price, its up to the consumer to decide if they want to pay it. Don't want to pay €50 for an Armani t-shirt in BTs? Wander down to Jack & Jones and buy the same product quality at €12.50 a piece.

I go back regularly, not really an issue there.

As for them leaving it up to the customer, I'd say easily 90% of customers wouldn't have a fiddlers clue what a mechanic is doing to their car.
    I heard of taxi men being prosecuted for bringing customers a longer way, is that not similar to this? Taxi man can say, sure it's up to the customer, he felt this way would be shorter, etc etc. A lot of people, especially people from the country and abroad wouldn't know their way around Dublin, does this mean taxi men can charge what they want??

And before you say something like it's up to us to check around, there's very little a customer can check when getting a bill like mine, due to the varying degrees of quality of parts and labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

THFC wrote: »

And before you say something like it's up to us to check around, there's very little a customer can check when getting a bill like mine, due to the varying degrees of quality of parts and labour.

And that very reason above is the very reason you shouldn't come on here calling a company a rip off when you don't really have a basis for it.

How many ramps does your indy have? How many does that branch of that company have? How many staff? How much rates are they paying vs each other? All of these variables in overheads contribute to pricing as it all has to be paid for, and a bit of profit would be nice too.

On top of that - mechanics aren't regulated like taxis are.

On top of that again - people/companies can charge whatever the fcuk they want for a service, and it's up to the customer to accept and pay it or walk away and go somewhere else like you did.

None of the above gives basis to lambaste a company as a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Bunch of cowboys. Half of them aren't even qualified mechanics. Wife got brake pads done in a place in Dublin and when she was driving home on the m50 the pedal went to the floor and she had no brakes. I wouldn't let them change a bulb

Cheensbo wrote: »
    And that very reason above is the very reason you shouldn't come on here calling a company a rip off when you don't really have a basis for it.

How many ramps does your indy have? How many does that branch of that company have? How many staff? How much rates are they paying vs each other? All of these variables in overheads contribute to pricing as it all has to be paid for, and a bit of profit would be nice too.

On top of that - mechanics aren't regulated like taxis are.

On top of that again - people/companies can charge whatever the fcuk they want for a service, and it's up to the customer to accept and pay it or walk away and go somewhere else like you did.

None of the above gives basis to lambaste a company as a rip off.

I don't know why some people are always so quick to point out other people's flaws.

Relax man.

I'm not going to go through every single detail of every part, along with the garage. I've been informed by another mechanic that I was being drastically over-charged, along with other people who know a thing or two about cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I don't know why some people are always so quick to point out other people's flaws.

Relax man.

I'm not going to go through every single detail of every part, along with the garage. I've been informed by another mechanic that I was being drastically over-charged, along with other people who know a thing or two about cars.

I'm not picking flaws. I am just trying to explain that it's bad form to name a company as a rip off merchant without any particular basis to do so beyond the opinions of a mechanic back o'er West.

Its like someone accusing you by name on a widely used public forum of being a theif/conman etc with no grounds or proof to do so. And with you not having a chance to answer to the allegations - It would tarnish your reputation regardless of truth or not.

Cheensbo wrote: »
    I'm not picking flaws. I am just trying to explain that it's bad form to name a company as a rip off merchant without any particular basis to do so beyond the opinions of a mechanic back o'er West.

Its like someone accusing you by name on a widely used public forum of being a theif/conman etc with no grounds or proof to do so. And with you not having a chance to answer to the allegations - It would tarnish your reputation regardless of truth or not.

A mechanic back o'er West? Is that some patronising comment intended to undermine the opinion of a mechanic? Don't see what difference it makes where he's from, but fyi, he's in Galway city.

Anyway, I remember when boards used to be friendly. Nowadays, any time I come on here it seems people are very happy to attack posters.

I've posted up the receipt. I've said that I was going to be charged for brake pads and discs that didn't need to be replaced along with what only a mechanic would know.

He was clearly trying to rip me off. I'm trying to spread the word so people know to avoid them.

And, obviously, I'm not the only person. In the short space of time this thread has been up I've not been the only person with a complaint against this lot.

Anyway, I've put up as much info as I'm going to put up. People can make their own decisions about whether they want to go to a place where they have tried to charged me at the very least €240 more than what I needed to be charged.

I've a picture of the receipt. I'll stick up receipt from other place tomorrow.

I've been assured that all parts being put in now are genuine. Being done by a well known garage.

We've a problem here in the sense that I don't really know anything about cars, but my father was a mechanic for a few years when he was younger and knows a good deal and he's saying too that I was getting ripped off.

https://s31.postimg.org/6o2cpbbh7/20160802_131447.png

Without knowing what the car is and how much genuine parts cost, it is hard to know if it is rip off or not but it looks like at least dealer level labour prices to me for potential fixes. If those are really needed or not is a different story.

I would do what OP did in this case if I am given such a list and quote but I actually avoid such places even for oil changes. As they suggest to change brake discs/pads of every car entering their premises somehow :D

kerten wrote: »
    Without knowing what the car is and how much genuine parts cost, it is hard to know if it is rip off or not but it looks like at least dealer level labour prices to me for potential fixes. If those are really needed or not is a different story.

I would do what OP did in this case if I am given such a list and quote but I actually avoid such places even for oil changes. As they suggest to change brake discs/pads of every car entering their premises somehow :D

Ford Focus, 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

As for them leaving it up to the customer, I'd say easily 90% of customers wouldn't have a fiddlers clue what a mechanic is doing to their car.

Is it up to the ESB to explain the difference in how much electricity each appliance in your house will use? There's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from browsing the hundreds of threads and YouTube videos to diagnose their car, not to mention getting a second opinion from another garage. A little bit of education and perhaps some person responsibility to understand the steel can that catapults you around the roads of this country is not much to ask of people.
    I heard of taxi men being prosecuted for bringing customers a longer way, is that not similar to this? Taxi man can say, sure it's up to the customer, he felt this way would be shorter, etc etc. A lot of people, especially people from the country and abroad wouldn't know their way around Dublin, does this mean taxi men can charge what they want??

I rack up a fair few hundred air miles a year and as daft as it sounds, I usually have a quick check of the route I'm going to be taken from the airport to my hotel or to the office i'm going to. Taxi men have tried it on in Beijing and Mexico, but a quick indication of you know whats going on, and all is handy. Again, takes about 2 mins on Google Maps before you set off. If you are had as a consumer you have yourself to blame for not bothering to do some reading before you set out to make a purchase (Making a sharp distinction between that and being unlawfully scammed of course)
    And before you say something like it's up to us to check around, there's very little a customer can check when getting a bill like mine, due to the varying degrees of quality of parts and labour

Actually they could just bring the bill to another garage and compare with what the other garage comes out with. Whats similar, whats different? Is there a difference in price, why?

Most high street retailers have a mark up of between 100 and 500%, so your Christmas sale of 75% off, is still netting them at least 25%. Is that a scam? Should that be regulated too?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Service cost seems reasonable, car wash was a bit dear.

The quoted work doesn't seem crazily over the top to me in places, but 110 euro for an alternator belt is a bit mental?

Actually couldn't be arsed.. Came on to be nice more so than anything else.. Not arsed dealing with people like ironclaw..

millington wrote: »
    Service cost seems reasonable, car wash was a bit dear.

The quoted work doesn't seem crazily over the top to me in places, but 110 euro for an alternator belt is a bit mental?

Service was grand, I've no issues with that.

Anyway, I'm off. I've contributed as much to this thread as I'm going to..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Service was grand, I've no issues with that.

Anyway, I'm off. I've contributed as much to this thread as I'm going to..

Before you go, any chance you could post the receipt from your usual lad in galway so we actually have something to compare with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Everything listed as further repairs is a rip off in fairness.

480 for a timing belt?I got a 1.6hdi done full contitech kit with w pump and alternator belt for €350.

110 for an alternator belt???

130 to do a rocker seal????

Absolute rip off prices a decent indie would do that work for a hell of a lot less.

I had a similar experience with another of these chains,told a car needed loads of work it didn't.The staff in there must have targets to reach or something.

Ford Focus, 2005.

Funnily I have a 2005 focus 1.6 petrol which I assume similar to yours.

Main dealer(ford motorcraft) prices for this car:

Timing belt kit change : 350 Euro (570 Euro with water pump and coolant change)
    Alternator belt change : 80 Euro
    Front discs/pads change : 260 Euro
    Service : 109 Euro - Oil, oil filter, air filter + wash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

dar_cool wrote:
    Bunch of cowboys. Half of them aren't even qualified mechanics.

Don't start that ****e. Some of the best mechanics I've seen haven't got a FAS 'qualification'. Time on a workshop floor is far better.

OP, what car is it? Curious as some of those prices are pure mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

magentis wrote: »
    Everything listed as further repairs is a rip off in fairness.

480 for a timing belt?I got a 1.6hdi done full contitech kit with w pump and alternator belt for €350.

110 for an alternator belt???

130 to do a rocker seal????

Absolute rip off prices a decent indie would do that work for a hell of a lot less.

I had a similar experience with another of these chains,told a car needed loads of work it didn't.The staff in there must have targets to reach or something.

What's worse is they are all removed to do the timing belt so they are pricing labour on everything separately.

Most of them prices are off the charts to be fair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Had a couple bad experiences with them I wouldn't go back again

Advertisement