Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing stage of new build

Options
  • 02-08-2016 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

At the designing stage of our house (still months later). Finally feeling that we have 95% of the house down to a tee to how we would like/need it. However we have a bit of space to play around with upstairs and am looking for opinions please.
    No.1) do people need/use offices any more ? Neither of us work from home but reckon it could be handy for filing cabinet full of important documents ? Where do people keep these documents who don't have an office ? I'm swaying towards changing the potential space for an office to a ensuite accessible from two bedrooms. Opinions ? Thoughts?
    No.2) after master bedroom with ensuite robes, main bathroom , three upstairs bedrooms and the ensuite / office space , we still have a sizeable space left. Our builder suggested a big hit press. House will be a storey and a half , so is this a good idea for storage ? I just feel as if it's too big a space to give to a hot press / storage . Any other ideas for this space ? I will attach screen shot of this space. All opinions and ideas greatly appreciated !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Nickypicky

Don't know how to attach images 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If you are meeting your renewable requirements by putting in solar panels you will need a very large water cylinder. If this is going in the hotpress it will take up a lot of space.

It's worth noting that this is heavy so if it's going upstairs the floor will need to be appropriate to carry it.

Going for air to water system. Not sure if this requires the same space as a solar panel boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

It really depends on your situation tbh. Do you have children? Do you have entertaining space downstairs? Do you have a playroom/den for the kids? Do you have a utility room?

Some people like the idea of putting their washer/dryer upstairs so it's closer to where the clothes need to go! One option is to actually make the house smaller - build the smallest house possible to the best spec, rather than trying to 'use up' space for the sake of it. Bigger houses are more expensive to run, harder to heat. And 'spare' rooms often just end up as dusty junk rooms.

Alternatively, I'd be inclined to keep an extra room to be used as an office/den/music room - something flexible that can change as your needs change down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

House sounds big? 4 upstairs bedrooms plus toilets and office etc. What size are you planning? Have you considered every extra foot of space will cost 100-150 euro per?

Every foot has to be heated every year.
    Cleaned every week. Maintained every year.

• Advertisement

House is just under 3000. Just myself and my partner trying to get this stepping stone sorted first. Partner has a big family that are from a different county and come down a lot so no fear of the rooms not being used. Hot press is and L shape 12"7 long , 6"3" wide for the most of it and 10" wide at the end. I am happy with size of all other rooms not too big, big enough with a double bed etc, it is really just this space that I have a question mark under

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    It really depends on your situation tbh. Do you have children? Do you have entertaining space downstairs? Do you have a playroom/den for the kids? Do you have a utility room?

Some people like the idea of putting their washer/dryer upstairs so it's closer to where the clothes need to go! One option is to actually make the house smaller - build the smallest house possible to the best spec, rather than trying to 'use up' space for the sake of it. Bigger houses are more expensive to run, harder to heat. And 'spare' rooms often just end up as dusty junk rooms.

Alternatively, I'd be inclined to keep an extra room to be used as an office/den/music room - something flexible that can change as your needs change down the line.

Have all of the above spaces downstairs. Would prefer to keep washer dryer downstairs . Have a utility , 13"4" X 8" so overall this space upstairs is a bit bigger. Friends have said keep it that size and use it for upstairs cleaning products , sweeping brush, mop bucket, storage of towels , bed sheets , summer/winter clothes . Booker for air to water system will be here also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Nickypicky wrote: »
    House is just under 3000. Just myself and my partner trying to get this stepping stone sorted first. Partner has a big family that are from a different county and come down a lot so no fear of the rooms not being used. Hot press is and L shape 12"7 long , 6"3" wide for the most of it and 10" wide at the end. I am happy with size of all other rooms not too big, big enough with a double bed etc, it is really just this space that I have a question mark under

I think that hot press is bigger than my utility room!

I'd be getting rid of the office and use your hot press for file storage etc.

You could use the space as a landing?

Some storage cabinets might make it flexible.

If the space is already defined use it as storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP: have you applied for planning yet?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

I would seriously consider the size. Are you really going to justify the extra 1000sq feet on your wife family visiting? Are they going to stump up the 100k extra it will cost to build (or the 180k you will pay back for that 100k assuming you are borrowing).

A smartly designed 2000 sq foot may well have more useable space than a poorly thought out 3000.

Mine is a tad over 2000 and feels huge. I have friends creaking under 3000 sq foot builds that have no additional value.

Plan went in and there is an issue with roof restriction nothing else so size etc isn't an issue for planners

Plan went in and there is an issue with roof restriction nothing else so size etc isn't an issue for planners

Wasn't really my point! Best of luck with it either way!

893bet wrote: »
    Wasn't really my point! Best of luck with it either way!

Apologies that reply was directed at a further above question from another user- new to this boards - still fining my feet 🙈

Advertisement