Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free To Enter Leagues - With Prizes

• 02-08-2016 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

There are usually a few free to enter leagues from radio stations / pubs / local businesses that give away a prize. Is there any issue if we share these codes with eachother? If someone here has an exceptional season they can clean up in all these leagues.

Premier League Jersey in this league: 502065-148784

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Division wrote: »
    There are usually a few free to enter leagues from radio stations / pubs / local businesses that give away a prize. Is there any issue if we share these codes with eachother? If someone here has an exceptional season they can clean up in all these leagues.

Premier League Jersey in this league: 502065-148784

Already a thread that includes free prize leagues and pay leagues.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/100502367

Surprisingly quiet this year. I think many around here have given up on the free leagues with thousands of entries which are (a) such a long shot to win a usually small prize that they are a waste of a slot and (b) often unreliable come payout time.

Also note the suggestion in the op of the thread regarding local free leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Division

I wouldn't be putting as much work into my FPL team as a lot of posters on here that have spreadsheet analysis for the next 6 weeks and already have their Christmas wildcard planned out so I'll be sticking with the free leagues:)

For me, the most interesting leagues are the H2H leagues as even if you are having a terrible season overall you just have to beat one guy so each gameweek is a new opportunity and keeps your interest.

I was reading the thread you linked to. Seems FPL is a ruthless business.

Regarding the sharks looking on various forums for paid leagues is it really that profitable for them from a risk v reward point of view?

I would imagine that you would have to stake a significant amount of money against other sharks in very exclusive leagues to make the payout worth the time investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Yeh there's little money in it really. I know of £500 league that normally gets a few and the winner gets a few grand and there's a $1k league but they are hard to get into! Even if you win those the hourly is still rubbish it's a game for fun not money.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheDazzler

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeh there's little money in it really. I know of £500 league that normally gets a few and the winner gets a few grand and there's a $1k league but they are hard to get into! Even if you win those the hourly is still rubbish it's a game for fun not money.

The biggest I know of is the $500 entry on poker forum 2+2. Where are those £500 and $1k ones?
    We know that premier league players play FPL so I'd imagine their cash leagues are probably absolutely massive. We never hear about them probably due to the leagues rule on gambling within football so we'll need to wait until someone retires and speaks about it in their autobiography :)

• Advertisement

I remember reading a couple of threads on 2+2 when I had more of an interest in poker and the amounts of money that those guys bet on 2 ants crawling up the wall is ridiculous until I seen what they they will do to get an edge. Those guys are proper 'sharks' and will have staked thousands between all their FPL leagues. A lot of the guys are making thousands each week playing poker and most of them are in their early 20s so are willing to risk large amounts of cash and invest the necessary time if they think they have a 6% edge which they will have found a way to estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheDazzler

I was reading the thread you linked to. Seems FPL is a ruthless business.

Regarding the sharks looking on various forums for paid leagues is it really that profitable for them from a risk v reward point of view?

I would imagine that you would have to stake a significant amount of money against other sharks in very exclusive leagues to make the payout worth the time investment.

I've played in a lot of those leagues and have made decent money over the years so I guess you would term me one of the sharks.
    Poker forum leagues tend to have the biggest money games and they tend to be of a high standard. They do not have all the best FPL players in them. They have the best FPL playing poker players in them.
    As the skill sets for both games is similar in many ways, it tends towards a high standard overall.
    But I don't think you'll see too many (if any) of FFS HOF top 50 in high stakes FPL leagues. Ville Ronka doesn't play any cash leagues and he'd be making a fortune!
    Like any league, there are better players, medium players and lesser players. Even in the 2+2 $500 league (£400 this year), there are players there that are not good FPL players, certainly not sharks. They are poker players who also play FPL and enjoy a gamble.
    jimmii wrote: »

Poker players think of their hourly rate when they play poker. When they play FPL, that doesn't enter their thoughts.
    I played FPL before I ever played poker. I'm going to play FPL regardless of whether I play poker or money leagues. But if I play FPL to a decent standard, I play poker and I'm on poker forums, then I may as well play poker forum FPL leagues too. I'm going to play against a lot of good players, some of whom are better than me.
    I'm okay with that. In fact I relish it. There are enough players I'm better than that I still think I can make money.
    Only 20% of players are going to get paid.
    The better players expect to make money every year.
    The medium players hope to make money every year.
    The lesser players dream about making money every year.
    It's the same as any league.

I remember reading a couple of threads on 2+2 when I had more of an interest in poker and the amounts of money that those guys bet on 2 ants crawling up the wall is ridiculous until I seen what they they will do to get an edge. Those guys are proper 'sharks' and will have staked thousands between all their FPL leagues. A lot of the guys are making thousands each week playing poker and most of them are in their early 20s so are willing to risk large amounts of cash and invest the necessary time if they think they have a 6% edge which they will have found a way to estimate.

As I said above, not all are sharks. With only 20% getting paid, they can't be.
    In this 2+2 thread there is a poster who is prepared to play anybody H2H for anything up to multiple thousands.
    http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/150/fantasy-sports/fantasy-premier-league-16-17-a-1620014/
    He's a decent player but he is by no means a shark. I can't remember exactly his finishes but it was all 100K+ until a couple of years ago and then he has a couple of 5K-ish finishes and last year something like 20K.
    I finished 16k last year and beat him and he paid me immediately before I even asked. He was even going to pay me extra as he had transferred to my PokerStars account instead of Paypal which would have been my preferred option.
    I finished 16K last year and still made money, it's not always all top 1K guys. Admittedly last year was a bit of an anomoly and I'm certainly not saying these leagues aren't very high standard. Most years 16k isn't going to get you anything. It's high risk, high reward and if you can finish top 1K, you'll do very well indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I won quite a bit last year with a 14k finish. But easier leagues are harder to find every year.

I've a couple of ones work related that a decent season should win me a couple of hundred at least. So my strategy is to enter a load of other leagues with that anticipated money to hopefully break me even. A good season can then make you several €k with relatively little risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Any of the Off The Ball or Last Word leagues this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Definitely seems to be a lot quieter this year than any other I can remember over the last 4 or 5 for lack of free leagues with prizes. I spoke to a couple of places that used to run successful leagues and they just don't have any plans to do it this year.

I'll always play 1 or 2 low stakes entry pay leagues a season but don't like getting involved in too many as it takes the enjoyment away from it a bit for me and I wouldn't post on here regarding FPL even 10% as much as I do if I was heavily involved in pay leagues. Therefore, the free ones with some cool prizes are the leagues I aim for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭fran38

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Advertisement