Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renewing a Learner Permit

Options
  • 02-08-2016 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

Do you have to call out in person to an NDSL centre to renew your permit? I'm out of country for next few weeks and was wondering if you can post in all relevant documents?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Probably have to call in person as they need to take a photo..

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Probably have to call in person as they need to take a photo..

That makes sense! Thanks Joe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You don't have to renew prior to it or as soon as possible after it expires. I'm unsure of the amount of time you have, but you'll have plenty of time to renew after you get back. I think it's 2 years or so. Can easily be checked by looking up on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

If you visited the centre and they took your picture the last time, you shouldn't have to go in again.

Just apply for your test and send in the forms with the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You don't have to renew prior to it or as soon as possible after it expires. I'm unsure of the amount of time you have, but you'll have plenty of time to renew after you get back. I think it's 2 years or so. Can easily be checked by looking up on their website.

For a learner permit, application to renew must be made either with the last 3 months of the expiring permit or up to five years after it expires, Drav :)

@ OP, you won't have any use for your current permit abroad as it is only valid within the ROI, so yes, it looks like you should just leave it go until they're back rather than putting yourself under pressure.
    H8GHOTI wrote: »
    If you visited the centre and they took your picture the last time, you shouldn't have to go in again.

This is not case, I'm afraid. Some NDLS customers under some circumstances are invited by post to renew their permits by post. If the OP did not receive a postal renewal pack, they can't apply by post. Application would have to be made in person for the vast majority of applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

cantdecide wrote: »

H8GHOTI wrote: »

This is not case, I'm afraid. Some NDLS customers under some circumstances are invited by post to renew their permits by post. If the OP did not receive a postal renewal pack, they can't apply by post. Application would have to be made in person for the vast majority of applicants.

Oh, I presumed it was the same process for everyone. That's strange why some people are treated differently.

Advertisement