Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing machine - Model information needed please.

Options
  • 01-08-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,
    This is my first post here. Seeking help from members.
    I need to buy a Singer Sewing machine. The purpose is to,

1) Stitch normal clothes,
    2) To stitch jeans
    3) Embroidery
    4) ZigZag
    5) Button hole/stitch
    6) and Picot

When I browse it online it was very confusing because there are so many models. If anyone could point us towards a model that does above job that would be great. Sewing using foot is preferred. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a bit difficult to suggest an exact model as there are a lot of issues to consider - price being one of them, how much you will b using it and what for. Do you just need a domestic machine for occasional use, or for frequent use, or a semi-industrial heavy duty machine.

All sewing machines will stitch normal clothes.
    Zig-zag is a basic provision, and button holes are fairly basic too. It may be described as 'swing needle' but zig zag is more usual.
    Sewing jeans is mostly about having a suitable needle, though a light-weight, cheap machine would struggle.
    Embroidery - that is the big variation, how fancy do you want to get. Embroidery on a sewing machine is vastly overrated, unless you have something specific in mind I would not get too ambitious with embroidery requirements.
    Picot could be a specific stitch or it could be a technique.

I have had three Singer machines over 50 years and have been happy with all of them. The earliest one was the heaviest and I think the most satisfactory to use as it was very solid and stable. Generally there is not much difference between them though. There is no point telling you models as the last one I bought maybe 15 years ago. The singer shop in Waterford is well known for offering sound advice about machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nprs100

Thank you for your response.
    Actually we need it use more regularly (almost on daily basis).
    Waterford is too far for us. If you have few models in mind then I may try to look into it and short list. Please suggest if you any models in mind.

Its better we have all above requirements/features in one machine or if you think we have to go for 2 different machines to have all requirements please suggest that too.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If this is for semi commercial use I suggest you get the heavy duty machine http://www.singerco.com/products/2122/4423-heavy-duty this is one version of it, there are others and I cannot say which would be better. You can sew pretty much anything with it (I made a 12' tent from heavy canvas on one, and it was great).

Then look at one that does embroidery, there is a very wide range of machines here, it depends on whether you just want a few fancy stitches or an electronic machine that will stitch pictures.

The reason I am suggesting these two is because heavy duty and embroidery are the two main differences. Any machine will do most of the others, its just a matter of checking the list of features.

I guess you are looking for machine(s) for, say, a repair service. Since you do not know about machines I suggest you talk to whoever is going to do the sewing for you and see what they would consider suitable. Giving exact advice is almost impossible without exact knowledge of what you want it for. You should really visit a sewing machine shop and get some advice.

Advertisement