Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Log book to buyer

Options
  • 01-08-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi I don't know if this has been posted before but I have swaped my car to a guy for his van and he wants to sell the car on but just wants me to sign the log book and he wants to take it. Is there some weaver I can get him to sign to say he bought the car and is going to sell on I just don't want anything to come back on me. He does sound genuine but these days you can't be to careful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless he is a dealer or exporting the vehicle then the seller sends the log book with the new owners details off to Shannon so they can update the vehicle's new owner details. My guess is that he is flipping vehicles over on the side and doesn't want himself down as an extra owner on the vehicles he is buying/selling.

You will be leaving yourself exposed by not following the official process for change of ownership. What if he never sends on the log book to Shannon for the next owner? Speeding, parking, toll fines will all still come back to you. I wouldn't be giving it to him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

He's probably a small time dealer trading under the radar, if the deal depends on it, ask to see his his driving licence and note the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stevoz402

He offered to give me his driver licence till he sells the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hold on he would leave you with his licence now that sounds dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stevoz402

aujopimur wrote: »
    He's probably a small time dealer trading under the radar, if the deal depends on it, ask to see his his driving licence and note the details.

Do you think getting him to sign a waiver of some sort would do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

stevoz402 wrote: »
    Do you think getting him to sign a waiver of some sort would do?

No, only way to absolve yourself of any issues with the car is to post the log book to Shannon. Anything else is just a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you hand over the logbook you've no control. You could easily be hit with toll charges or speeding fines with points.

Just send the logbook off and be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you are happy to get speeding fines, unpaid toll demands and the possible risk of gardaí coming to your door for any crimes committed with the car go right aread and hand him the logbook, there's no way I would hand it to the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

All the above can still happen even doing it right.

Whatever way one does it photos or scans of all sides should be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

All the above can still happen even doing it right.

Whatever way one does it photos or scans of all sides should be taken.

If you fill in the logbook and post immediately there is only a small window for issues, photos are a good idea if your worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just curious..is his name and address on HIS log book..why would he want you to sign your book, that would be the same as just sending it off..???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just curious..is his name and address on HIS log book..why would he want you to sign your book, that would be the same as just sending it off..???

Think about your second question...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Proper registered dealers have a code number they use with Shannon so that when they buy a vehicle for resale it transfers over to them without adding an extra owner onto the vehicle's logbook.

The guy is buying and selling vehicles but is not actually a registered dealer. He wants the log book signed by the previous owner so that when he sells the vehicle on he just sends it off with the new owner's details so that it looks like the current owner sold it directly to the new owner.

I won't start a debate about the ins and outs of what he is doing from a Revenue point of view but from the current owner's (OP) point of view it is in his/her's best interest to put the buyer's details on the change of ownership and send it off to Shannon. Until that is done the OP will be still listed as the registered keeper of the vehicle and for all the OP knows the buyer may never transfer the logbook to the new owner.

Advertisement