Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to block emails from a particular email address.

Options
  • 01-08-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place but I'm hoping someone here will be able to assist me.

Every day I receive receive two distressing/inappropriate emails from an individual, I've added the email address to my blocked sender folder but I can still see their emails mounting up in my junk folder. I'd prefer not to be able to see these at all. Is there a way of blocking the sender. i.e I'd prefer for their emails to bounce back undelivered. Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Patww79 wrote: »
    The troublesome emails are coming into an MS Outlook account. The person who is sending them is an IT Professional which is a bit concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

In outlook you can right click on the mail in folder view and from the rules sub menu select always move mails from harassing@pet and select deleted items folder, then set deleted items to close on exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Report the emails to the guards?

h2005 wrote: »
    Report the emails to the guards?
    I might have to do that, but for the moment I want to see if blocking the emails will put an end to the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Perhaps if you reply and say further emails won't be seen, he(?) might just give up?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

In outlook you can create a rule and select to delete permanently. This way you won't see it at all at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I might have to do that, but for the moment I want to see if blocking the emails will put an end to the problem.
    It may be worth reporting anyway to establish a history in the (hopefully extremely unlikely) chance that it escalates. Depending on how you feel about it, letting the harasser know you've done this may not be a bad idea either.

Have a read of this too: http://crimevictimshelpline.ie/coping-crime/coping-harassment, deleting all of the emails may actually not be the best idea as they can be used as evidence if you need to take it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A non-technical solution: Name and shame the individual. No-one should have to put up with unsolicited email of a personal nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

If you think you may need to bring this matter to the authorities, the last thing you want to do is delete the evidence.

I haven't used Outlook in years, but there should still be some kind of conditional forwarding available? As in, emails from x[at]creep.com go to another address, but all other mail is left untouched. I would set up a separate, disposable email address at Gmail or somewhere that's otherwise unconnected to you, and forward them all there so you can log in and check them and have them on file if needed, but you won't have to see them every day, either.

Perhaps someone can advise on how exactly you might go about this? Online harassment is terrible; I'm very sorry you're experiencing this, and I hope you can get it sorted sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

DivingDuck wrote: »
    If you think you may need to bring this matter to the authorities, the last thing you want to do is delete the evidence.

I haven't used Outlook in years, but there should still be some kind of conditional forwarding available? As in, emails from x[at]creep.com go to another address, but all other mail is left untouched. I would set up a separate, disposable email address at Gmail or somewhere that's otherwise unconnected to you, and forward them all there so you can log in and check them and have them on file if needed, but you won't have to see them every day, either.

Perhaps someone can advise on how exactly you might go about this? Online harassment is terrible; I'm very sorry you're experiencing this, and I hope you can get it sorted sooner rather than later.
    Thank you very much for this, Diving Duck, I think this sounds like a sensible solution.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on this thread, it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bonzodog2 wrote:
    Perhaps if you reply and say further emails won't be seen, he(?) might just give up?

It's never a good idea to respond to the likes of this person. It feeds whatever kicks they get from these emails. It acknowledges that you have and are continuing to see these emails.

DivingDuck wrote: »

This is a great idea. Find out an email in the company he works for (info@... Or call the office under other pretended to obtain an email address for enquiries).
    Forward all emails from him to that address along with a small message explaining they're from an employee of the company, name and shame him.
    Quite easy to setup using the rules wizard in outlook.
    That should soften his cough a little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place but I'm hoping someone here will be able to assist me.

Every day I receive receive two distressing/inappropriate emails from an individual, I've added the email address to my blocked sender folder but I can still see their emails mounting up in my junk folder. I'd prefer not to be able to see these at all. Is there a way of blocking the sender. i.e I'd prefer for their emails to bounce back undelivered. Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

You'd need to explain how your email is hosted. Is this a work email account or personal? If it is a work email account, you need to talk to your IT support folks - probably good to have your concerns on the record.

This is a great idea. Find out an email in the company he works for (info@... Or call the office under other pretended to obtain an email address for enquiries).
    Forward all emails from him to that address along with a small message explaining they're from an employee of the company, name and shame him.
    Quite easy to setup using the rules wizard in outlook.
    That should soften his cough a little.
    You'd need to explain how your email is hosted. Is this a work email account or personal? If it is a work email account, you need to talk to your IT support folks - probably good to have your concerns on the record.

The emails are going to my personal email address (they have my e-mail address because I once enquired about a product/service offered by the company) there is no point complaining to the business as the individual sending the emails would appear to own it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

The emails are going to my personal email address (they have my e-mail address because I once enquired about a product/service offered by the company) there is no point complaining to the business as the individual sending the emails would appear to own it.

If you can be more specific about your email host (gmail.com, hotmail.com, live.com), we might be able to provide more specific guidance.

You have specific rights under Data Protection legislation to avoid unwanted direct marketing;

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/A-Consumer-Guide-to-Dealing-with-Unsolicited-Direct-Marketing/r/288.htm

Send them one final, very clear 'unsubscribe' instruction, and if the emails are still coming after 3-5 days, you could make a report to the DP Commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭pah

Great idea to forward email to a holding account. Don't delete them. If it persists or escalates in any way keep a log in a notebook or spreadsheet.

The main proof required when it comes to prosecuting harassment cases is that it has taken place consistently over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

Advertisement