Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terenure (Crumlin) parish

Options
  • 01-08-2016 11:53am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a record from 1929 referring to the baptism of a child on 18th Feb 1877 in Terenure (Crumlin) parish but I can't find the entry in Terenure register on NLI. What other parish might this be referring to?

393189.JPG

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Terenure Parish was founded in 1894 from part of the parish of Rathfarnham. Crumlin is also a 'recent' parish also formed out of parts of Rathfarnham.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

So any idea where an 1877 baptism referencing Terenure (Crumlin) parish might have taken place?
    Would that be on Roots?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Roots doesn't usually tell you which church -it refers to the parish, and some parishes had several chapels.

It is possible that the baptism was in the RC chapel in Crumlin village - it was demolished in 1969. There's a photo in this report http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/DublinCityDevelopmentPlan/Documents/ADOPTED-Var23-CrumlinACAFinalDoc.pdf page 11.

Sorry if I'm labouring this. :o
    It's not the church but the record I'm after.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Did you look at this, Hermy?

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0489

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thanks Pinky. Hadn't checked it before but no joy.
    Her name is Anne Dowdall b. 16/2/1877 bap. 18/2/1877 as per the extracted record.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Two siblings born to those parents, Mary in 1872 and Sarah 1878 - both in Clondalkin parish just west of Rathfarnham parish.

Here's an Anne Dowdall baptised in Saggart - unfortunately the transcription says 1887 http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/8f43510038943

Yes Shane - Mary and Sarah are sisters.

Genealogy Forum Mod

thought it was interesting that there was a child baptised before and after Anne and both in Clondaklin. Do you have a birth cert for Anne to confirm place of birth ?

There must have been an earlier St. Joseph's at Terenure/Roundtown before the current 1904 building as the images & presumably register starts 1870. The introduction page mentions this church being part of the parish of Rathfarnham, so was keeping a separate register before it split off as a parish.

p.s. does the 1929 document mention the name of the priest that baptised Anne ?

• Advertisement

p.s. does the 1929 document mention the name of the priest that baptised Anne ?

Baptised by Martin Walsh cc

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thom's Ecclesiastical Directory 1877 - parish of Rathfarnham (Rathfarnham, Crumlin & Terenure) P. P. Robert Meylor, and 5 curates
    John O'Molloy & John Grimley - post town Terenure
    Patrick Hanley - post town Rathfarnham
    James Keon - post town Bohernabreena
    Martin Walsh - post town Crumlin

I can see John O'Molloy performing baptisms in the St. Joseph's registers, and P. Hanley at Rathfarmham - but didn't spot any mention of Martin Walsh in either so far.. This 1877 bapt. for Anne should be in the Rathfarnham registers, but seeing as one of the chapels (Terenure) held it's own register - maybe Crumlin did the same ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Shane: always a mine of information!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for looking into it Shane.

I've looked at it before and given up. And I'm still stumped by it now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

it appears that there is, or least was in the 1920s, another register somewhere which is not filmed and not online - Crumlin church may know if this is still available. I'd take the easy option and order a civil cert - all you dont get is the names of the godparents, but you gain the father's occupation

The baptismal record isn't critical but not being able to find it when much else about the family was available I've been like a dog with a bone wondering where to look.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    The baptismal record isn't critical but not being able to find it when much else about the family was available I've been like a dog with a bone wondering where to look.

I know how that feels!

I've sent a query to the parish office in St Agnes Crumlin to see what records they hold. info@crumlinparish.ie also the website is here http://www.crumlinparish.ie/about-us/location-and-contact-details/

Advertisement