Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car?

Options
  • 01-08-2016 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Im looking for a circa 2008 diesel for the chape tax obviously.

I have my preferences narrowed down to 3

Passat
    Saab 9-3
    Opel insignia.

Out of those, which way would you go?

What im looking for is

1Reliability
    2 MPG
    3 comfort/ fun extras/ gadgets

I think you have to go 2009 for the insignia which I don't mind once it can be got for about 8k

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'll start by saying the 93 is an old car now.

I don't think early insignias are that well regarded.

Cheap passats are a minefield.

Helping?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'll start by saying the 93 is an old car now.

I don't think early insignias are that well regarded.

Cheap passats are a minefield.

Helping?

Helped a bit! I kinda have my heart set on a 9-3 though...love the cream interior.

I heard the same about the insignias..they are going so cheap it has me suspicious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

1Reliability
    2 MPG

None of them do very well in any of those categories, all much of a muchness.

1Reliability
    2 MPG

None of them do very well in any of those categories, all much of a muchness.

I was told by a passat owner mid 50s is to be expected MPG wise, not sure about reliability though

• Advertisement

none of the above , id try and get a mondeo , great value second hand

They are a lovely car alright, do they give flywheel trouble though? What's the highest spec is it ghia or zetec im not sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

akelly02 wrote: »
    They are a lovely car alright, do they give flywheel trouble though? What's the highest spec is it ghia or zetec im not sure?

Treat DMF the same way you'd treat breaking pads. Every car needs a new one from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DMFs can be problematic on any modern diesel they are fitted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I was told by a passat owner mid 50s is to be expected MPG wise, not sure about reliability though

I have a Passat and 50+ mpg is doable. Mine has been reliable as well. I know there were problems with earlier models but I can't say I've encountered any.

mickeyk wrote: »
    I have a Passat and 50+ mpg is doable. Mine has been reliable as well. I know there were problems with earlier models but I can't say I've encountered any.

Thanks for that. they seem to be reasonably priced for 08 /09 models aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Thanks for that. they seem to be reasonably priced for 08 /09 models aswell

The common rail engine was brought in about 08-09 and that's the one to look for. The older Diesel engines had a few common issues I believe.

If you're buying an 08-09 it'll have 100k plus miles on it. Check the service history and ask if the flywheel has been done. If it hasn't then factor in a large bill in the future. It's not a reason not to buy the car or anything, just something to be mindful of.

mickeyk wrote: »
    The common rail engine was brought in about 08-09 and that's the one to look for. The older Diesel engines had a few common issues I believe.

If you're buying an 08-09 it'll have 100k plus miles on it. Check the service history and ask if the flywheel has been done. If it hasn't then factor in a large bill in the future. It's not a reason not to buy the car or anything, just something to be mindful of.

Thanks for that . Flywheel jobs are usually €1000 or more is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on the car and who you bring it to but generally you're talking €800 and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I'v bought a Luk clutch kit & flywheel from my local factor for €450, + €180 for fitting in an indy on a 2010 C5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Ask george dalton for an estimate he posts here regulary, send him a pm as well, he might be able to do it cheaper than that.

Advertisement