Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres for a GS450h

Options
  • 01-08-2016 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭

Need new tyres for the car. The size is 245/40/18 and I'm currently running Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs. Tyres are fine grip wise in the dry and wet, once I got used to driving a big heavy powerful RWD car:eek:, but I barely got 16k km out of them. All my other cars I was getting more than double that but with less power. I'm happy with the grip from the Dunlop's but would like a bit more life if possible.

Can't buy online as Toyota have filled the boot with batteries so would need to be a place somewhere around Dublin.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

All tyres in that mileage or just the rears? My Alfa is well capable of eating a set of fronts in that mileage. I'd advise Avons. Best all rounder I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ba_barabus wrote: »
    All tyres in that mileage or just the rears? My Alfa is well capable of eating a set of fronts in that mileage. I'd advise Avons. Best all rounder I've ever had.

Rears where getting close to the limit front had a bit more left so I rotated a few weeks back. Now need to replace all 4 since the weather is only going to get wetter. I'll have a look at Avons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I had those Dunlops on the front of a Audi and they were bald at 15K, I changed them for Pirellis and they have 18K done now with about 4mm of thread left..

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I have had same dunlop sportmaxx RTs at rear axle of my IS250 and had similarly shocking mileage.

I have fitted goodyear eagle f1s to front axle at the same time and they were barely worn at 6k kms. Dunlops were at 40% at that point.

I think they sacrificed longevity of tyre too much to shine in tests for grip and quietness.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kerten wrote: »
    I have had same dunlop sportmaxx RTs at rear axle of my IS250 and had similarly shocking mileage.

I have fitted goodyear eagle f1s to front axle at the same time and they were barely worn at 6k kms. Dunlops were at 40% at that point.

I think they sacrificed longevity of tyre too much to shine in tests for grip and quietness.

I would see that as pretty normal. Rear tyres on a rear wheel drive car like the IS, would always wear quicker than the fronts. My 5 Series has the Dunlop Sports on both front and rear and there is obviously less wear on the fronts than the rears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would see that as pretty normal. Rear tyres on a rear wheel drive car like the IS, would always wear quicker than the fronts. My 5 Series has the Dunlop Sports on both front and rear and there is obviously less wear on the fronts than the rears.

I agree with front axle vs rear axle on rwd perspective but my driving was pretty calm city driving and I am pretty sure most of the other performance tyres at same price range(paid 180 E online each) would at least last 50% longer.

We are talking about 6-7 k miles lifetime to reach legal limit for 245/45/17.

Truckermal wrote: »
    I had those Dunlops on the front of a Audi and they were bald at 15K, I changed them for Pirellis and they have 18K done now with about 4mm of thread left..

What Pirellies have you got?

From doing some research I'm thinking either Continental Contact Sport 5 or the Good Year F1 Asymmetric 3, both get good reviews with the F1 being a quieter tyre. I don't drive that hard and I like quite so I'm thinking the F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I have pzero neuros, I actually have Bridgestone Lassas on the back of my GS and they are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Del2005 wrote: »
    Need new tyres for the car. The size is 245/40/18 and I'm currently running Dunlop Sport Maxx RTs. Tyres are fine grip wise in the dry and wet, once I got used to driving a big heavy powerful RWD car:eek:, but I barely got 16k km out of them. All my other cars I was getting more than double that but with less power. I'm happy with the grip from the Dunlop's but would like a bit more life if possible.

Can't buy online as Toyota have filled the boot with batteries so would need to be a place somewhere around Dublin.

Thanks

I have that exact size of Kumho Ecsta Ku39 in XL on mine. A5 3.0 TDI quattro. About 22k on them now, fronts on 4mm rears on 5mm.

I want to get all seasons next if possible but if CrossClimates not available in that size I'd go for the kumhos again with no worries.

I have that exact size of Kumho Ecsta Ku39 in XL on mine. A5 3.0 TDI quattro. About 22k on them now, fronts on 4mm rears on 5mm.

I want to get all seasons next if possible but if CrossClimates not available in that size I'd go for the kumhos again with no worries.

Are they supposed to be making them bigger? All I can find are 225 Cross Climates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Are they supposed to be making them bigger? All I can find are 225 Cross Climates.

Yeah the bigger sizes are an issue currently. Pity really as I'd put both cars on them all year round. I did read that there was an issue with lower profiles, runflats and xl rated because of the rubber used to get the winter certification so not sure if they'll ever go to bigger sizes. You can get Vredestein Quatrac in that size but no CCs or Weatherproofs sadly.

I'd recommend the kumhos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

What did you go for in the end? I need at least 2 for my GS450h :)

Currently considering the following:
    Hankook s1 Evo 2
    Uniroyal Rainsport
    Pirelli P Zero Nero GT
    Pirelli P Zero
    Continental Contisport 5/5P
    Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

I had the original Eagle F1s on my e39 years ago and they were great, if a little soft. Had Contisport 5s on my last e39 and loved them, albeit pretty pricey tyres. Had Avon ZZ5s on my last car and while they were OK, they were really noisy. The Kumho KU39s I had in the past were OK but not amazing in the wet.

I want rim protection and ideally low noise, decent grip and reasonable rolling resistance. Unsure as to whether I should go XL - instincts say yes as it's a big car.

Haven't bought yet, but will need to soon getting closer to the limit. Thinking of the Goodyear F1 asm 3 as they have good reviews and low noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Haven't bought yet, but will need to soon getting closer to the limit. Thinking of the Goodyear F1 asm 3 as they have good reviews and low noise.

Just put 2 on the back of an E200 yesterday. Nice and quiet. Took lff Dunlops, only got 22 k from them, very disappointing as it's Mrs Odysseys car and she's extremely light on the loud pedal..

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Have Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on 07 GS, front about 50% left, rear just about legal limit in the center, edges still like new which is annoying , about 17 kkm done. Awesome tyres, comfortable and quiet. Bought online for good price

rai555 wrote: »
    Have Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on 07 GS, front about 50% left, rear just about legal limit in the center, edges still like new which is annoying , about 17 kkm done. Awesome tyres, comfortable and quiet. Bought online for good price

You're over inflating the rears if the centre is wearing and edges still like new.

Will have a look at the Rainsports but because Toyota filled the boot with batteries I can't buy online.

That's interesting! I thought the Lexus might be a bit too heavy for them but that sounds encouraging. They're pretty cheap on Camskill at the mo too. 17000km is pretty poor life for a set of tyres though.

How is economy on them?

You're over inflating the rears if the centre is wearing and edges still like new.

Thought same but garage told me they are too soft so no joy

Will have a look at the Rainsports but because Toyota filled the boot with batteries I can't buy online.

It think i had them on my back seat. Recenty had a puncture and the big wheel would not fit into the boot. Imagine family trip with stuff and big wheel on the back seat, that's crazy :)

commited wrote: »
    That's interesting! I thought the Lexus might be a bit too heavy for them but that sounds encouraging. They're pretty cheap on Camskill at the mo too. 17000km is pretty poor life for a set of tyres though.

How is economy on them?

Never drove slowly so can't talk much of economy, more about driving pleasure. However on motorway with cruise control at 120 was getting about 8l/100 km or so. And yes bought them on camskill.co.uk , works about 100e delivered

You went for non-XL versions?

• Advertisement

You went for non-XL versions?

Have all 4 245/40 R18 97Y XL now

Thanks

Ordered Eagle F1s this morning, great deal on Camskill!

It think i had them on my back seat. Recenty had a puncture and the big wheel would not fit into the boot. Imagine family trip with stuff and big wheel on the back seat, that's crazy :)

I had some on the back seat before. They moved off the tarps and made a mess of the cream interior, too much cleaning involved to do it again.

Never even though of getting a puncture and having to carry it in the back, must make sure that I've the can of foam in the boot.

I had some on the back seat before. They moved off the tarps and made a mess of the cream interior, too much cleaning involved to do it again.

Never even though of getting a puncture and having to carry it in the back, must make sure that I've the can of foam in the boot.

I'll be ordering a tyre bag for this eventuality:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wheels-Accessories-Diy-Vinyl-PU-Spare-Tire-Tyre-Wheel-Cover-Pure-Black14-15-16-17-Fit/32699141607.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.240.ckDycx&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_5_10057_10056_10055_10037_10049_301_10033_10059_10032_10058_10017_10060_10061_10062,searchweb201603_3&btsid=7461c390-fa65-42da-9692-7c8d41df8399

Ordered Eagle F1s this morning, great deal on Camskill!

I wonder what were the factors to impact your final decision? Will have to buy 2 tyres soon enough

I wonder what were the factors to impact your final decision? Will have to buy 2 tyres soon enough

Tyrereviews.co.uk seems an excellent aggregation of user reviews, tests etc. The Eagle F1s seem to score highly in pretty much everything but while the Uniroyals are praised, they are well known to wear out quickly.

Advertisement