Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad monitor build for e-mail and basic browsing

Options
  • 31-07-2016 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€1000 or thereabouts]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Photoshoppery/Internet] No games

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Probably]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have an extensive collection of odds and ends spanning probably 20 years, some of which could be carried over. More on this below.

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Of no interest]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Debit Card/PayPal]

:D
    Nah, I do a little more than e-mail and surfing the web!
    The most serious 'work' I do is scanning and tidying up old family photos, mostly using Photoshop.
    This IS a home/hobby scenario though, so I don't need the bleeding edge of the latest technology.

My current setup is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 with 8GB RAM on an Asus Maximus Formula board, running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
    I have a couple of GeForce cards (8400GS & 9500GT, both 0.5GB RAM) connected to 4 monitors.

The core hardware (motherboard/CPU/RAM) are all getting on for 8 years old at this stage, and I'm getting a hankering for replacing them with something a bit more current and shiney.
    The 4-monitors thing just evolved over the years, and I now despair at the thought of not having loads of real estate to spread out my very important 'work'.

A bit of reading on this forum leads me to think that some sort of workstation oriented setup would suit my purposes pretty well, given that I have no interest in playing the latest games at 8K at a billion FPS.
    So, something like a Xeon E3-1230 V5 on an Asus E3 board of some sort with 16GB (32GB) RAM perhaps?

I've always gotten on well with Asus and Corsair hardware, so I'm inclined to be biased towards them for new bits.
    I've also been running GeForce video cards for years, so inertia steers me towards sticking with them too.

I'd be looking for the way of running these 4 monitors, so short of going to a stupidly expensive quad port card, a 2 card solution is likely the best way to go.
    As already stated, I have no interest in gaming so something relatively modest will suit just fine, so long as I have the correct connectors!
    Only the newest one has HDMI, but they'll all talk to DVI. D-Sub is also an option :)

I have a 250GB SSD for the OS, but another one would be no harm, and a fresh power supply would probably be no harm either.

My current OS (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit) is an upgrade from Win 8.1, so to the best of my knowledge, I can't transfer that to a new build.
    I'd like to be wrong on that though!

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Advertisement