Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What happens to the log book when trading in a car ?

Options
  • 31-07-2016 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Im currently looking to buy a newer car and will have to trade mine in. Im not 100% comfortable handing over a car still in my name that they could do god knows what with just wondering when trading in, is the log book left in my name or can you sign it over to the garage ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Im currently looking to buy a newer car and will have to trade mine in. Im not 100% comfortable handing over a car still in my name that they could do god knows what with just wondering when trading in, is the log book left in my name or can you sign it over to the garage ?

God knows how long since it's been a log "book". You send off the change of ownership cert straight away. The person purchasing gives you their details.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're trading into a garage, they should be transferring the car into the garage account, either with a paper rf105 form, or buy using the online system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

God knows how long since it's been a log "book". You send off the change of ownership cert straight away. The person purchasing gives you their details.

That's what you do when selling a car privately.

When trading in a car you give the VRC to the dealer and they transfer the ownership into their garage code. Most dealers should be able to do this online and give you a printout confirming the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

is the log book left in my name or can you sign it over to the garage ?

It is actually written on your logbook... You fill the RF105 and hand the logbook...

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF105_en.pdf

Advertisement