Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controller for PC gaming?

Options
  • 31-07-2016 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

So I need a little help here - this stuff will probably sound pretty basic to advanced gamers. Actually I kind of hope it does so I can get a solution quickly. :)

So I have the Lego Star Wars games for PC and I decided I'd prefer to play them with a controller rather than the laptop keyboard. Did a little googling, went out and bought a standard Xbox USB controller. The controller itself works fine with the game, but unfortunately overheats the computer, causing it to shut down. After the first time that happened I tried it again just in ccase it was a once off - it was not a once off, so I'm not doing it again.

So can anybody suggest to me a decent controller that I can use with a PC that won't overheat it? Is there such a thing? I prefer to ask on here since Google recommended that the Xbox one would be just fine, and it was not just fine. I presume there's no way to use the Xbox one (I have one of those laptop stands that fans the computer to keep it cool so that's not effective for this).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MmmChocolate

Because it shuts down, and when I switch it back on it tells me it went into emergency shutdown because of danger of overheating. The only time that has happened (twice) was when I was playing the game with the controller - it runs just fine when I control it using the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there is definitely something hinky there as the XBox controller is the standard for pc gamers and most of us have one and I have not heard of this happening

I would do some more investigation like check the event logs and install a program to see what temperatures you are getting on your system with and without the controller

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

have you been playing longer than normal with the controller as opposed to the amount of time you'd spend using the keyboard? Maybe the game is the issue but you're only seeing it through prolonged play?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I've not heard that issue before and have played several of the Lego games with two xbox controllers plugged in without issue, on a desktop rather than laptop though.

Curious - are you playing while the laptop is running on battery or plugged in?

Maybe see if this video helps - turn off auto-shutdown on overheat:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Have you tried using it with any other games to see if the same thing happens? Sounds really odd to be honest.

I know with my old laptop the internal fan stopped working which would lead it to overheat and shut down. Might be worth checking the fan is still working on your pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MmmChocolate

Hmmm - some interesting stuff there. I'll dig a little deeper - I haven't been playing for long because on both occasions the laptop shut off after less than ten minutes (and it was plugged in, not on battery). I only have the Lego games so I don't have anything else to compare it to. Thanks for the suggestions so far, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What PC have you? I would assume its a store bought complete unit?

Advertisement