Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4 B8 key getting stuck in the ignition constantly

Options
  • 31-07-2016 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

So the last 3 days this very annoying issue has raised its head. Basically almost everytime I go to remove the key from the dash when getting out of the car the ignition won't release it. I cleaned the keys it does it on both keys so it's not them. I cleaned the ignition itself So it's not dirt.

So it's quite obvious it's the two pins in the ignition that hold each side of the key. When you push in the key to turn of the ignition the pins don't release causing you key to be stuck in the dash. Meaning you end up having to turn on and off the ignition upto 5 times trying to get it to release the bloody key getting very annoyed in the mean time.

So ultimately is the only fix going to be a new ignition switch / unit for the dash ? And is it actually that unit that reads the key so it will have to be order in through the dealer one off to suit my key ? Anyone know what the part will actually cost ballpark are we talking €100 or €1000. Ultimately has anyone came across the issue before any info or advice would be much appreciated :)

it's the kind of issue that's just too annoying to leave god I'd love to just have an old fashioned ignition with a normal key :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

im pretty sure this was a known issue with your car, dunno if audi are fixing them for free though, ask George ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

pred racer wrote: »
    im pretty sure this was a known issue with your car, dunno if audi are fixing them for free though, ask George ;)

Thanks. I'll get onto him during the week. From looking at it again yesterday one thing I noticed is if it's going to work you'll hear the click before you pull out the key. If it isn't going to work you'll hear slight buzzing noises so it seems like the car is sending the signal to drop the pins fine but the solenoid is sticking and not dropping the pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Had identical problem round 2 years ago. Solenoid needs replacing. Got it done main dealer...as far as I remember around €75 for part Inc. Vat and around €120 labour...but they wrote off the labour as good will, as had bought car from them and all maintenance work was with them.

scooby77 wrote: »
    Had identical problem round 2 years ago. Solenoid needs replacing. Got it done main dealer...as far as I remember around €75 for part Inc. Vat and around €120 labour...but they wrote off the labour as good will, as had bought car from them and all maintenance work was with them.

Perfect thank you. Ah €75 isn't too bad for the part and then a bit of labour on top of it no reason not to do it at that cost. It's quite annoying especially if your in a hurry to get out of the car. I'll try and get it sorted straight away before it gets really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Bring it back to the garage you bought it from. Despite it being a trade sale you have rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Bring it back to the garage you bought it from. Despite it being a trade sale you have rights.

It is hardly a reason for non-roadworthiness...

Over a 100 quid worth of an ignition switch ah I don't need to burn any bridges over that kind of money plus it did work when I bought it. If you see what they are selling my trade in for they are honestly making fcuk all on it so it just wouldn't be in me to go back for the sake of something so small they have always been fair to us over the years.

It worked fine this morning going to work but if it starts at it again I'll order up the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Friend replaced his 6weeks ago 80+vat part does not need to be coded I think he said will ask him now and have an exact price if you want.

crasy dash wrote: »
    Friend replaced his 6weeks ago 80+vat part does not need to be coded I think he said will ask him now and have an exact price if you want.

If it's not too much trouble. But that's not too bad so I expected the odd small thing to go wrong with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Local vw down here north cork newmarket motors he got the part through them 96 including vat and 50 for labour with an indepenadant .

He thinks he could have fitted it himself though

Bit of ripping involved this is for the left hand drive i asssume its similiar on the rhd

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/621361-DIY-Ignition-switch-replacement

• Advertisement
Advertisement