Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car vacuum door lock system

Options
  • 31-07-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am testing the vacuum locking system on a 1983 mercedes 240d.
    I have read a guide an it says to use a vacuum guage to test the vacuum coming from the engine.
    I have a hand vacuum pump with integrated guage.
    My question is, can i connect the vacuum pump to the pipe coming from the engine and read the vacuum on its integrated gauge?
    I dont know if that would work or maybe damage the hand pump.
    Thanks
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If the engine will run with the pipe from it fully open, connect it to the gauge/pump with a t-piece open in this temporary line, with a bit of flexible hose or similar on the open side, and experiment with kinking it a little or a lot to see if you can fully close it off before the vacuum gauge reaches the end of its scale - if you can, then read the gauge, you have the vacuum already measured, but if it reaches the end of the scale and you haven't fully kinked the open end of the pipe, then stop, or you might damage the gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Miikeemike

Type 17 wrote: »
    If the engine will run with the pipe from it fully open, connect it to the gauge/pump with a t-piece open in this temporary line, with a bit of flexible hose or similar on the open side, and experiment with kinking it a little or a lot to see if you can fully close it off before the vacuum gauge reaches the end of its scale - if you can, then read the gauge, you have the vacuum already measured, but if it reaches the end of the scale and you haven't fully kinked the open end of the pipe, then stop, or you might damage the gauge.

Great idea, i really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You can do as suggested however you really don't need to check if you have vacuum, you need to check where the leak is. You can remove that engine pipe, connect to it and pump up the gauge to see if it holds vacuum.

You will find that it doesn't. Remove both front carpets and open the black trunking to find the vacuum pipes. Check the one going to the drivers door first, then go through the various rubber connectors on both sides, check and plug them to isolate. Don't forget the fuel lid and boot lock too. You will need to test the holding tank in the trunk area too to see if it holds pressure, under the rear screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Miikeemike

MercMad wrote: »
    You can do as suggested however you really don't need to check if you have vacuum, you need to check where the leak is. You can remove that engine pipe, connect to it and pump up the gauge to see if it holds vacuum.

You will find that it doesn't. Remove both front carpets and open the black trunking to find the vacuum pipes. Check the one going to the drivers door first, then go through the various rubber connectors on both sides, check and plug them to isolate. Don't forget the fuel lid and boot lock too. You will need to test the holding tank in the trunk area too to see if it holds pressure, under the rear screen.

Thanks mercmad
    One thing i was wondering about is how to isolate and test the drivers door vacuum switch/valve.
    There are 2 positions and seals to test.

Advertisement