Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

food storing and preservation

• 30-07-2016 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    Anyone doing any of this; either as a self sufficiency thing or cost reduction; such things as pickling or deep freezing. The only thing I have done like this is actually making sloe gin. We gathered sloes locally and made several bottles; it's lovely and lasts for ages. What have you done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I also made apple jelly and very tasty it was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I'd like to try my hand with more canning / jarring food. All I've done in that regard is made jams. I blanch and freeze any food I've grown that I don't need to use immediately.

Once you look around what they are selling on this site (you can find a lot cheaper), there are some tips on preserving some foods. https://www.freshpreserving.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I've been doing quite a bit of fermenting of foods lately.

Sauerkraut, pickled onions, pickled carrots, hot chilli sauce, salsa - all done via fermentation.

Others include apple cider vinegar, natural yoghurt, kombucha.

This is one way foods were preserved before fridges became a household appliance.

Apart from the (probiotic) health benefits, it's quite good fun and highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

how do you store them afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Stovepipe wrote: »
    how do you store them afterwards?

The cooler and more stable the temperature is where you store your canning jars and other long-term preserved foods, the darker the area is, and the more the foods are protected from oxygen, the longer they will last. This goes for both home-canned foods as well as commercially produced long-term storage foods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bottle my own Tuna every year, mackerel and salmon if I can get them.
    Easy enough in a pressure cooker and some good quality Jars not the new Kilner which are crap.
    Le Parfait Famila Wiss or the traditional rubber sealed ones are best in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

fastrac wrote: »

The Germans do love their regulations, I know its not law but I found this quote interesting.
    The German newspaper, Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung (FAS), quoted the government's Concept for Civil Defence as saying "the population will be obliged to hold an individual supply of food for ten days".

Imagine that being said here.

Advertisement