Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold car that was in an accident

Options
  • 30-07-2016 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

So, I bought a car ~18 months ago up the north, I was given a clean HPI check on it and it had a service book with service history in it, nothing major in it. Have been using the car a lot in the last 18 months, have put ~40,000 miles on it, and haven't had any major issues with it, changed the timing belt, the egr was blocked on it, radiator leaked recently but was fixed easily using that bottled stuff. This week I noticed something was hanging down under the engine and after looking at it there as a flap underneath which came loose and was hanging down but I could also see the fan was hanging down with it. So brought it to a mechanic yesterday and it turns out the car was in a crash before, as the radiator is bent inwards a little and the fan and radiator has been just hanging there "in place" with cable ties, obviously in the past week the cable ties finally gave way. So they went to the bother of fixing all the outside parts but never fixed the radiator/fan and left it like that. I'm now left with a bill to replace all these parts and get them fitted. I bought the car of a garage which mainly deal in servicing but they also buy and sell cars, the guy told me he got this car in a swap deal originally. So, I'm wondering, does anyone know what recourse, if any, I have on this with the seller? Has it been too long since the purchase to even bother approach him? I never noticed the damage as it's hidden behind the front grill, which was never taken off and I never had any reason to take it off, should I have taken this off to check before buying? It's possible the person who this dealer got the car through a swap has done the dealer originally and the dealer was oblivious to this also, but I would have thought if he's selling cars the onus should be on him to give them a good check before selling? I'm fully expecting that there is nothing I can do/get at this stage but just wondering of anyone has had any similar situations or know of any legal standing here? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you do a HPI check on the car before you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Was it roadworthy?

Thank you, good bye...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Wondering has the car been through an NCT in the South

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

18 months is too long for recourse and a clear hpi check doesn't mean the car wasnt in an accident, it just means it wasn't reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can you not just lash it back on with more cable ties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

surprised not picked up on a service as one sees things when under car and might have been reported,best to have any car bought checked over within 1 month of sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

greasepalm wrote: »
    surprised not picked up on a service as one sees things when under car and might have been reported,best to have any car bought checked over within 1 month of sale.

Or, you know, before you buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Wondering has the car been through an NCT in the South

It has been, 1 month ago, and it was through the Northern MOT last summer, neither picked it up.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Can you not just lash it back on with more cable ties?

It has crossed my mind but the mechanic didn't seem to keen to leave it like that (obviously I know he's looking for a job), it has been driving fine the last 18 months, but I'd kind of like it fixed proper for piece of mind now.
    Did you do a HPI check on the car before you bought it?

No, the dealer who sold it to me did it for me, made it out to be an extra he did for me. I know it would be clear anyway if an accident wasn't reported/claim made.

The car has been serviced 3/4 times since I bought it and not once was it picked up, it is well hidden, there's a flap underneath hiding it and then the grill needs to be taken off the front for it to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

what model is it ,probably plastic bumper on front went in and popped out leaving damage unseen behind.

• Advertisement

what model is it ,probably plastic bumper on front went in and popped out leaving damage unseen behind.

It's an 08 Astra, can't see the front of it popping in or out, but maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No, the dealer who sold it to me did it for me, made it out to be an extra he did for me. I know it would be clear anyway if an accident wasn't reported/claim made.

Do a HPI check on it now yourself with the UK reg and see what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Find it hard to believe that such a good repair job was done that neither the MOT nor NCT picked it up, and yet they only used cable ties for the rad?

Advertisement