Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Assistance needed in buying hatchback 1.4/1.6 please !

Options
  • 30-07-2016 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'll apologise in advance for any lack of knowledge, and indeed the length of this post.

I've been looking at changing my car (1.4 Mk 5 Golf 2004) - which was my first car, for a while now. Been viewing cars and figured if I'm changing my car I don't want just a newer version of the car I have currently, so started to look at 1.6's and eventually 1.4 TSI variant which I was impressed with. Insurance limits me from anything like the 170BHP so thats out. The problem is supply - can't find anything that ticks all the boxes (i.e. under 140k miles/ good condition/ way overpriced)

So I widened my net slightly (i'll be "part-owner" of this car so the OH weighs in on anything that strays too far from the brief :) ) I test drove a 122 BHP Seat Leon (2008) today which was priced exactly the same as a previous 170 Golf 2007) - turned out they didn't want to take trade ins (offering half of what the original garage for the golf were - $1500 ) so thats caput.

I've now started looking at 1.6 Audi A3's - which I'm very impressed with currently (yet to drive). So bears the question - I would like a car, economical for city driving, not a ridiculously big engine for insurance/tax, around 2008 and petrol. I've looked at automatic variants of all the above which I'd love to consider.

So for the below 3 car's - is there any that anyone has had experience with, that they'd recommend ?

I have looked at other hatches (civic, focus, opal's) and they don't do anything for me.

Really appreciate any comments/feedback from anyone !

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Have you thought about a corolla or auris.
    The focus comes in a 1.4 petrol but it's pretty underpowered so maybe a 1.6 if you could find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A civic all day for me!

Ya I forgot the civic. Excellent reccomendation.

Would a scirocco fall into your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭chrisguy116

Ya I forgot the civic. Excellent reccomendation.

Would a scirocco fall into your budget?

Thanks - Im not gone on the new civic, a mate of mine has one and I just think it looks a bit too space age. Sorry should have mentioned my budget, its my car plus 3k (2,800 is around what i was offered as a trade in) I'm now think an extra 1/1.5K extra will increase my chances of getting something worthwhile so looking at cars priced between 6500 - 7500.

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭chrisguy116

"I have looked at other hatches (civic, focus, opal's) and they don't do anything for me." - :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

What about a Hyundai i30 nice hatchback 1.4

• Advertisement
Advertisement