Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do a course in Java?

Options
  • 30-07-2016 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I've been studind networking and Linux commands for the past year and found often that people use Python commands for automation scripting.
    So I found it necessary to learn Python. With a bit of practise, I am now able to make mediocre programs, such as 'scripting commands' and 'website-scanners', 'password-bruteforce' and 'client & server links'.
    Also just hobby things like building a small robot with a Raspberry pi.
    Gradually with more practice I found programming wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

As more and more applications become automated and use technology, it creates more of a demand for programmers.
    One of the one programming languages is Java, which also used for Android development.

I found a part-time 26 week Java course near where I live that starts at the end of September. I was thinking of applying and practising at home with youtube tutorials and also practice with Android tutorials I bought online.

Hopefully, this time next year, I can make a few mediocre applications and recreate a few Android apps.

Would this be a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you're interested, it certainly won't hurt you! At least it will give you a different view of programming - Java is much less forgiving and the source code is quite verbose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I've been dipping my toe in java recently and I have to say it's very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TheDruidWizard

I know it is. Although the demand for Java developers, especially with Android or other mobile based development is quite high and it's likely to increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I know it is. Although the demand for Java developers, especially with Android or other mobile based development is quite high and it's likely to increase.

Yeah, as long as its got Android backing its not going anywhere in the short term. People have been predicting the death of Java for years now, especially after the whole Flash thing and HTML5.

Think it is still popular to an extent in the back end server space.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

...Would this be a good idea?

Yes it would. No harm in learning new skills.

It is hard and quite a broad language in terms of it's capability, but all I can say is practice, check out tutorials, ask questions, review the online documentation and more practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

Is it just learning java or is it to get Oracle certification?

pillphil wrote: »
    Is it just learning java or is it to get Oracle certification?

It's a course at the CCT Dublin;

https://www.cct.ie/our-courses/part-time/coding-software-development-stream/3218-2

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

With respect, neither Java nor Android is hard relative to most other programming languages or operating systems. Both are designed to be very hand holdy and good enough for most general purpose programming. Python is actually considerably more powerful a language than Java, and takes a lot longer to master than Java. But it hides how powerful it is well.

Android also officially supports app development in Go, C and C++. Of those, Go is the least maturely supported but probably has less surprises than trying to begin to master C++ in anything less than 10,000 hours of practice.

As much as Java is not a terrible way to begin into computer programming, there is a ton of Java programmers out there, so salaries are correspondingly lower and it's easier for employers to treat them as identically substitutable. Java also generates in its programmers a lot of bad practices due to failings in the Java design such as over using threads and an awfully archaic way of thinking about concurrency in general. I'm not saying don't do the course, but rather do the course and then think about doing something other than Java. After all, all computer programming is basically the same thing irrespective of language used.

Niall

14ned wrote: »
    Python is actually considerably more powerful a language than Java, and takes a lot longer to master than Java. But it hides how powerful it is well.

I'd agreed that perhaps Python is more universal with especially with newer technologies. However I honestly did find Python much easier to learn than Java.

Now I can write applications in Python, not so much in Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stillatit

I think a quick search of the Jobs adverts will quickly show you that Java developer jobs are much more plentiful than Python jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

I'd agreed that perhaps Python is more universal with especially with newer technologies. However I honestly did find Python much easier to learn than Java.

Now I can write applications in Python, not so much in Java.

Python is great for getting something reasonable up and running quickly. That's why it's the recent first choice of the Silicon Valley startup world, you can bang out something not awful quickly. Writing high performance, highly secure, high scalability and excellent maintenance Python is a totally different kettle of fish, perhaps even approaching C++ in terms of hours needing to be invested to reach mastery. Also, Jython, IronPython, RPython and Cython all have different runtime characteristics, and all need to be practised to master which implementation of Python is best for a particular problem. Learning when to use Boost.Python, SWIG or Cython to break into C or C++ is also very valuable.

Python is a deep, deep well, maybe even deeper than all the .NET ecosystem nowadays. It's well worth investing in as it's almost certainly to have more legs in the future than the Java era of JVM languages which are only going to at best slowly decline over time, especially as more people starting writing Android apps in Go rather than Java.
    I think a quick search of the Jobs adverts will quickly show you that Java developer jobs are much more plentiful than Python jobs

Sure, but they race to bottom more quickly too. An employer will try very hard to not fire competent Python devs. They aren't anything like as careful with Java devs, they are much easier to replace when demand presents.

"Role stickiness" is a pain when breaking into a technical niche, but a godsend once you're inside.

Niall

Many development roles are short term. The reason for that is many projects have a finite life. Once the project is completed, the developers are no longer required for that job. Possibly a smaller number are needed for updates or maintenance. So they move onto a new project in the same organisation or to a new employment. The fact that they develop in Python or Java will not change that. You are no more likely to be fired if you are a proficient java developer or python developer.

I've been studind networking and Linux commands for the past year and found often that people use Python commands for automation scripting.
    So I found it necessary to learn Python. With a bit of practise, I am now able to make mediocre programs, such as 'scripting commands' and 'website-scanners', 'password-bruteforce' and 'client & server links'.
    Also just hobby things like building a small robot with a Raspberry pi.
    Gradually with more practice I found programming wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

As more and more applications become automated and use technology, it creates more of a demand for programmers.
    One of the one programming languages is Java, which also used for Android development.

I found a part-time 26 week Java course near where I live that starts at the end of September. I was thinking of applying and practising at home with youtube tutorials and also practice with Android tutorials I bought online.

Hopefully, this time next year, I can make a few mediocre applications and recreate a few Android apps.

Would this be a good idea?

I think you will find all programming is challenging. That is why there is a shortage of developers, it takes a long time to become good enough. No short course on it's own will give you enough Java or Python to reach proficency. Also for most development jobs you need skills in areas such as Web Development (HTML/CSS/JavaScript) and Databases/SQL plus a number of other skills.

Any learning or practice is a good idea, it is usually the best way to learn along side books, courses and online resources.

stillatit wrote: »
    Also for most development jobs you need skills in areas such as Web Development (HTML/CSS/JavaScript) and Databases/SQL plus a number of other skills.

Any learning or practice is a good idea, it is usually the best way to learn along side books, courses and online resources.

I did a certification in web development a few years ago and I have my own portfolio website which I'm adding more programming demos to.

I also have a BSc in Computer Science and the CCNA(R&S).

Advertisement