Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - Stamullen, Co.Meath

Options
  • 30-07-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

It's been a while since this topic has been mentioned, but it really needs to be brought up again.
    Eircom (now eir) have promised to roll out fibre broadband in Stamullen for lord knows how long (at least over 4 years). They have launched fibre cabinets over a year ago, if not more, and yet every time we try to contact them, they either say that the cabinet needs to be 1km away from us or they do not know when we're going to get fibre.
    Chatting to their customer support is not much help either, apparently if you can't copy and paste an answer, they are stumped.
    My main point is that we have been told that our cables are incapable of running fibre broadband (max speed in our house is 12mbps apparently, although we get 1mbps realistically).
    I have asked the guys in customer support, emailing people in Eir, what can we do to have fibre cables installed in our estate (there are over 6 houses, all people want to have fibre, you get the gist). Unfortunately, they don't have a clue who to even contact about it.
    My question is, does anyone on this forum know who to contact in order to have our lines upgraded so we can finally get fibre broadband? Any help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

malikpol wrote: »
    Hi,

It's been a while since this topic has been mentioned, but it really needs to be brought up again.
    Eircom (now eir) have promised to roll out fibre broadband in Stamullen for lord knows how long (at least over 4 years). They have launched fibre cabinets over a year ago, if not more, and yet every time we try to contact them, they either say that the cabinet needs to be 1km away from us or they do not know when we're going to get fibre.
    Chatting to their customer support is not much help either, apparently if you can't copy and paste an answer, they are stumped.
    My main point is that we have been told that our cables are incapable of running fibre broadband (max speed in our house is 12mbps apparently, although we get 1mbps realistically).
    I have asked the guys in customer support, emailing people in Eir, what can we do to have fibre cables installed in our estate (there are over 6 houses, all people want to have fibre, you get the gist). Unfortunately, they don't have a clue who to even contact about it.
    My question is, does anyone on this forum know who to contact in order to have our lines upgraded so we can finally get fibre broadband? Any help would be much appreciated :)

If you've got €10,000+++++, you could contact eir business to get a fibe line run into the 6 houses. Probably cost you €3,000+ per month EACH. But then I doubt that's what you want. :p

OK - to answer you realistically.

According to open eir, the cabs that are live are live. So whatever you get is all that you are going to get from them for the very foreseeable. There is a blue line that skirts the bottom left of Stamullen, but you say you're in an estate, so it doesn't look like you are on that blue line. If you were, you might get real fibre broadband from eir by 2020.

So presuming you are not on the blue line, then you are considered in scope for the National Broadband Plan (NBP), so you should get fibre under that scheme sometime by 2022. As you're a new boardsie, there's a lengthy thread here for your consideration.

So I think you can forget about fibre for now. Sorry. :(

I'm afraid Imagine don't appear to cover your area, so out of luck there.

From checking this map, you appear to be covered by Ripplecom and Net1 for Fixed Wireless Service. I don't know what packages they can offer you, but they may have data limits which you should consider.

You could also look at Mobile Midband solution. There is a sub-forum on here discussing options there.

Do NOT consider a satellite solution, as it's the worst possible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

3 AYCE data + an unlocked LTE modem is by far your best glimmer of hope. Add an antenna if needed.

Advertisement