Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tax

Options
  • 30-07-2016 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey,

Was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me.
    We have put a deposit on a car in the UK. They said there is a years car tax with the car which we pay for £130. I am wondering is this tax sufficient on the car over here??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you are planning on importing and registering the car into Ireland the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

UK motor tax has no bearing on motor tax over here.

You should also be aware that afaik if the dealer informs the UK DVLA that the car is being exported, then the motor tax is cancelled and a refund is issued to them assuming they are taxing it on your behalf. Seems a bit sneaky to me if they are charging you £130 to tax it and then they get a refund on it. Unless your a UK resident you won't be able to get the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ballycart

Great this is good to know.

Thanks for the info. Only the deposit paid so I wont be paying £130 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

ballycart wrote: »
    Great this is good to know.

Thanks for the info. Only the deposit paid so I wont be paying £130 extra.

If you plan on driving the car anywhere in the U.K., like here, it's illegal to drive a car without a current MOT and road tax.
    While there is every possibility of not being stopped, if you are, they tend to be less lenient than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I presume you are also aware that you will need to pay VRT on the car once you bring it over here?

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ballycart

Yes, thanks all.

We are importing the car to use in Ireland and do know we have VRT to pay.

I was just wondering about the car tax and why would they charge us for £130 to tax it in UK when we bringing the car back to Ireland (& they know this).
    Now since this info, obviously it makes no since taxing the car in the UK when the car will be in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Offaly Exile

ballycart wrote: »
    Yes, thanks all.

We are importing the car to use in Ireland and do know we have VRT to pay.

I was just wondering about the car tax and why would they charge us for £130 to tax it in UK when we bringing the car back to Ireland (& they know this).
    Now since this info, obviously it makes no since taxing the car in the UK when the car will be in Ireland.

Given the fact that the UK seller was trying to possibly pull a fast one and stick you for an extra £130 would you not be a little wary about them ? I know I would !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Given the fact that the UK seller was trying to possibly pull a fast one and stick you for an extra £130 would you not be a little wary about them ? I know I would !

Or they're doing it in good faith to cover them driving it to the port in case they're stopped.

Advertisement